Business Fraternity Recruitment is Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

You may have noticed an increase in students dressed in business clothes around campus, from pencil skirts and ties to full suits. Business fraternity recruitment is in full swing!

The business fraternities are co-ed student organizations centered around professional development. Their recruitment process is similar to that of the social Greek organizations, with several rounds being held throughout the week and potential members being brought back on an invite-only basis. However, rushing a business fraternity often involves more than speed dating and getting-to-know-each-other activities. The potential members also compete in case competitions and submit their resumes in a professional interview setting. Once given a bid, the process of becoming a new member is also different. It often involves tasks such as making a LinkedIn profile, revising your resume, and completing a job shadow.

According to senior Noelle Nadon, “joining a business fraternity not only gave me the confidence and drive to pursue internships, but also to spend six months in another country.” Junior Elisabeth Beall would agree in the importance of joining a business fraternity, saying “my brothers motivate me to push myself outside of my comfort zone and to set higher personal and professional goals for myself.”

There are three main business fraternities on campus: Alpha Kappa Psi, Delta Sigma Pi, and Sigma Omega Upsilon. Each fraternity offers its own, unique benefits to its members.

The oldest business fraternity at the University of South Carolina is Delta Sigma Pi, Beta Gamma Chapter. The Beta Gamma Chapter runs an investment portfolio called the Delta Fund, which works to both educate its members and increase funding for the chapter. Caitlin Mahoney, President of the chapter and current senior, says “Delta Sigma Pi has been a constant source of new and meaningful relationships. These relationships have pushed me not only to reach my goals, but to strive with greater determination, ambition and concern for others.” Delta Sigma Pi is open only to business majors and students in the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management with a GPA of 3.00 or higher. Recruitment for the fall semester is happening this week, September 5th through 9th. Visit Delta Sigma Pi’s website for more information.

Sigma Omega Upsilon, founded at the University of South Carolina in Fall 2012, is focused on international business and global leadership. The organization’s mission is “to promote personal development through various activities within professional, social, and cultural scopes.” Chief Operating Officer of Members and current junior, Dan Egan, says “Sigma Omega Upsilon has given a sense of focus and direction to my time in college. It developed me in ways that no class could and introduced me to a brotherhood of truly remarkable individuals.” Sigma Omega Upsilon is open to students of all majors with a GPA of 3.30 or higher. Recruitment for the fall semester is next week, September 12 through 16. More information can be found on Sigma Omega Upsilon’s website.

The third business fraternity is Alpha Kappa Psi. Their Director of Marketing, junior McKenna Porter, says “Alpha Kappa Psi at the University of South Carolina is made up of well-rounded and amazingly motivated individuals. We are an extremely close-knit group of students who don’t consider ourselves as just members of an organization. We are a brotherhood that looks to help each other accomplish our goals.” Alpha Kappa Psi remains open to students of all majors with the understanding that the professional world encompasses many different skillsets and knowledge bases. 90 percent of Alpha Kappa Psi’s current members have had an internship, likely due to the large range of professional development activities the organization participates in. Recruitment for the fall semester is going on now, September 6th through 9th. To find more information on Alpha Kappa Psi, visit their website.

Joining a business fraternity is just one of the many ways to get involved on campus and boost your professional network. For a full list of student organizations, check out the Leadership and Service section of the university’s website.

Cassie Sobers

South Carolina

Cassie is a Management and Marketing major at the University of South Carolina. She is an outgoing and adventurous person, and an avid runner. When she is not writing for Her Campus or training for a race, you can find her browsing Pinterest for a creative project to tackle, reading a good book, or cooking a delicious meal.
Reilly Tuccinard

South Carolina

Reilly Tuccinard is a University of South Carolina graduate with a love of writing, reading and learning. After spending two years as the Beauty Editor for Her Campus Media and the Editor-in-Chief of HC South Carolina, she is focusing on a career in creative strategy. Friends will tell you she's a a self-proclaimed Grey's Anatomy addict, she can't just watch a movie once and she is a firm believer in anything and everything chocolate.