The Best Brain Food to Eat During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As we all know, finals are coming up quick. And, with finals comes VERY late nights and not so healthy snacks. While studying is going to help you ace that final, the foods that you eat while studying can help you retain information. So, if you need to ace that test, then these foods will help your brain bring its A-game, literally.

Avocados

Avocados are rich in Vitamin K and folate, which help improve cognitive function for memory and concentration. According to WebMD, avocados also help with healthy blood flow, which leads to a healthy brain. Grab some avocado toast and get to studying.

Beets

Beets look intimidating, but it is a great brain food. Shape Magazine states that beets help with your memory and energy. Your days and nights might not seem as long with some beets. 

Eggs

According to Healthline, eggs contain a nutrient called choline which helps regulate your body’s mood and memory. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so having scrambled or fried eggs can help boost your metabolism and memory to have a great start to your day.

Blueberries

Blueberries are great to eat during finals. They are small and compact, so you can take them anywhere you go. They are also filled with Vitamin C and Vitamin K, which again, helps with memory and concentration. They also have high levels of gallic acid – which help the body de-stress. Healthline also says that blueberries help with communication between brain cells.

Bananas

Bananas contain Vitamin B6 which helps with concentration. Your body also breaks down the sugars from the banana into fructose which becomes a source of energy. Livestrong mentions that bananas can elevate your mood, as well. So, if you are feeling slightly sluggish and need a boost, bananas can save the day.

Nuts

Nuts such as walnuts can help with mental alertness, which is perfect for when you are taking an exam. Some nuts to eat are walnuts, pumpkin seeds and peanuts.

Dark Chocolate

If you are having a sweet craving, dark chocolate is the way to go. Dark chocolate contains caffeine which will help you focus and concentrate. Of course, like any sweet, it is best to have in moderation.

Fatty Fish

Shape Magazine says that fatty fish, such as salmon and sardines, are packed with omega 3 fatty acids which help with memory and brain function. Omega 3 fatty acids are also used for your brain to build more brain and nerve cells.

Coffee

Finally, the savior of the late nights…COFFEE. Coffee, as we all know, contains caffeine which increases concentration and alertness. With coffee, most of us like to have it with sugar, cream and/or whipped cream. While coffee is great for alertness, having too much sugar will lead to a sugar crash which is bad for your body. 

Sometimes during finals week, we forget to eat, and when we do, it’s normally something really unhealthy. By eating brain foods, not only are they good for you, but they will aid you in studying and getting that A that you deserve.

Roni Maybin

South Carolina

Current student at the University of South Carolina studying Retail Managment/Marketing. During my rare free time, you can catch me reading a new book or trying to travel to a new city. Hoping to live out my best life with as many dogs as my heart desires.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.