Wellness

7 Self-Help Books for Your Healing Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If one of your goals for 2024 is to read more books, you’ve clicked on the right article. There are so many amazing genres to choose from, but it may be helpful to include a self-improvement book into the rotation every once in a while. 

Self-help books can offer wisdom while navigating a difficult life-change, guidance on how to build healthy relationships, or offer advice from practicing therapists to help you address mental health issues without the heavy price tag of traditional therapy. Whatever your goals for this year and beyond, this list provides a starters guide to self-help books that anyone might enjoy.

1. The Defining Decade by Meg Jay, Ph.D.

Do you ever feel lost or overwhelmed by the pressure of being in your 20s? The better question is, who doesn’t? The list of stressors can seem endless at times, and may include relationships, career, family, trauma, and finding your purpose. Meg Jay shares stories from her clinical work as a psychologist about her “twenty-something” clients who face some combination of these stressors, along with how and why they made changes to their lifestyles. One of the biggest take-aways from this book: the time to make a change or start new habits is now.

2. The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking

The Danish and Norwegian philosophy of hygge celebrates a version of life centered around coziness, contentment, and well-being — which sounds like the perfect life philosophy in the colder seasons. Characterized by soft lighting, chunky blankets, and warm conversations, this way of life can help you embrace the famous work-life balance of Scandinavian Europe. The Little Book of Hygge gives an overview of what this philosophy is all about as well as ways to incorporate it into your own life.

3. Quiet by Susan Cain

If you’re an introvert, you may have heard that you should try to be more of an extrovert — probably a thousand times. However, Susan Cain in Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking argues that introverts have valuable social power too. In fact, Cain claims that many of today’s political and creative geniuses are introverts themselves. By explaining how introverts are undervalued in our society, she honors those with quieter personality types and notes their useful skills and qualities, such as reflection and innovation. By offering practical advice to both introverts and extroverts, this book provides the groundwork for practicing inclusionary social practices.

4. Come As You Are Emily Nagoski, Ph.D.

Championing sex-positivity, Emily Nagoski’s book Come As You Are will challenge everything society has taught you about sex. It focuses on educating women about their sexuality so that they can achieve a thriving sex life. This book gives basic anatomy education as well as advice on how to unlearn toxic ideas about women’s sexuality, so no matter where you are in your learning journey, you’re bound to close the book with some new knowledge. By emphasizing that women’s sexuality — and all its variances — are normal, healthy, and beautiful, this book helps readers feel more confident in their body and their sexuality.

P.S. If you like this book, check out Emily and Amelia Nagoski’s co-authored book Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle too. (Another bestselling book!)

5. Attached by Amir Levine and Rachel Heller

Whether you are single, dating, or fresh out of a relationship, it’s the perfect time for you to read Attached. This book is focused on educating readers about the science of human attachment and bonds and how these impact your relationships. It teaches how to identify attachment styles, offers possible explanations for them, and provides a how-to for supporting for these different styles. Even if you describe your attachment as “secure,” reading this book is beneficial as it educates how to support your partner, whose attachment style is likely different than your own.

6. Ikigai by Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles

If you’re looking for your purpose in life, look no further. Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life is a book that will teach you how to live more fulfilling experiences in all different areas of your life. Ikigai often translates as one’s “reason for living” and which “refers to a passion that gives value and joy to life.” By including interviews with elderly Japanese citizens, the book’s claims are rooted in testimonials and practical research.

7. Atomic Habits by James Clear

This list wouldn’t be complete without the book Atomic Habits, which has become a cult-favorite within the self-help community. This book is a great guide to help you start new habits when entering a new phase of your life. If you’re wanting to start exercising, reading, cooking, or saving more, this book provides resources for how to start on your way to a new lifestyle. Here’s to small changes that make a big difference!

Grace Wilson

South Carolina '25

Grace is the senior editor for Her Campus at The University of South Carolina. There, she writes and edits articles weekly and enjoys working with the team of creative and empowered women. Beyond Her Campus, she is a junior at the University of South Carolina, majoring in English with mass communications and law studies minors. Grace is passionate about using her writing skills as a tool to make a positive impact and enjoys volunteering in her community. In her free time, Grace enjoys practicing yoga, baking snickerdoodles, and watching figure skating. As an out-of-state student, she has explored SC by going on walks while listening to Taylor Swift.