This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Yes, it is much easier to lay in bed during the small amount of free time you have between classes and a thriving social life. But, why not spend it bettering yourself and your future?

As a college student, getting involved on campus is a great way to meet new people, build your resume and learn more about yourself. Here are a few tips on how you can get involved at USC:

1. Decide what type of org is right for you.

First thing’s first, you have to figure out what you want. USC has over 400 organizations for every interest you could think of. Before jumping into it, do some research and find out what type of organization would best suit your wants and needs. Then, figure out what you’d like to get out of the organization and how much time you can commit.

2. Visit USC’s Get Involved page.

This page is a great resource to sift through the all of the organizations USC has to offer. You can even search based on your interests – making it quick and easy to find the perfect organization for you. Whether you are a regular in the library looking for an organization to help keep up your GPA or a natural leader, this page can help get you on the right track to becoming a dedicated team member.

3. Walk through the organization fairs on Greene Street.

Next time you’re walking to class, desperately avoiding eye contact so you don’t have to take another flyer you’ll just throw away later, take a second to look around. You would be surprised what group you could be a part of. Those organizations are dying to talk to you, and chances are, they want you just as much as you want to get involved. So give it a chance. The worst that can happen is you have to toss all those fliers you don’t need.

4. Keep an eye out around campus.

A lot of organizations have rolling applications: so take advantage! Buildings around campus, like the Journalism School and Darla Moore, have digital signs that scroll through important announcements throughout the day. Next time you’re on your way to class, look for the digital fliers that jump out at you and don’t be afraid to reach out to the organization for more information.

5. Ask your academic advisor.

Your academic advisor is there to advise you, so let them do their job! Odds are they know faculty advisors for organizations you would be interested in, especially if you’re looking for something major or minor specific. Being able to ask them first-hand about what organizations they recommend can be a useful tool and will help your advisor learn more about you. It’s important to create a lasting relationship with your advisor because they will be the one helping you look for future jobs and internships!

It may feel like you don’t have time to breathe and adding something else to the mix can be overwhelming. But, future employers are always looking for extracurricular activities that set you apart from other candidates!

Build your resume and learn more about the type of team member you are when you join one of USC’s organizations.

Becca Brennan

South Carolina

.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.