This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Ever since the beginning of Covid-19, tensions have been high, and personal stress even higher. This stress can cause excess anxiety and depression, which leads to high blood pressure, body soreness, headaches and insomnia, according to Healthline. Now more than ever, it is crucial to take care of oneself and make sure to assess personal needs. Last week, The Daily Gamecock went dark and HerCampus produced articles centered around our writers’ mental health in order to acknowledge the importance of mental health. 

No one should suffer alone in their own mind, which is why we have collected 22 ideas to help you relax. These ideas can last anywhere from 5 minutes to hours, depending on your free time. There’s something for everyone, which is why we encourage you to engage with at least one of the activities once a day. If there’s an idea on this list that you’re curious about, feel free to try it! 

For the self: Taking a moment and focusing on yourself can be extremely beneficial. Writing in a journal or writing yourself a motivational letter can encourage feelings of gratitude and self-reflection. HuffPost claims that producing some form of art, no matter the skill level, can significantly reduce cortisol (stress hormone) levels. 

• Read a book

• Write yourself a motivational letter

• Do a face mask

• Play with a Pet (UofSC Emotional Support Animals are available for those without pets)

• Make/eat a snack

• Do your makeup

• Paint

• Write in a journal

• Drink tea

• Gardening/Plant care

For the social butterfly: Venting your stress, hugging a friend and just being in the same room as someone you’re close with can help you reduce stress. In fact, according to Healthline , taking a walk reduces cortisol, a “stress hormone”, releases endorphins, a “happy hormone”, and improves sleep. One study found on PubMed found that spending time with a friend can reduce stress, 

• Get coffee with a friend

• Call your family

• Watch TV

• Go shopping 

• Take a walk

For the tech-savvy: Technology has been our savior during the Pandemic, but it can also be the devil on our shoulder, distracting us and stressing us out. Make sure that your phone and computer work for you, not the other way around. According to PsychCentral, both music and meditation have been proven to reduce stress. In addition, a study from New York https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/music-and-health showed that patients that listened to music before and after surgery had lower blood pressure than patients who did not listen to music. 

• Sing along to your favorite song

• Turn your phone off at night

• Meditate with a YouTube video

• Listen to podcasts/music

• Sing along to your favorite song

• Play animal crossing/ your favorite video game

For the super clean: Sometimes organizing your ideas and surroundings can help you organize and accomplish your tasks easier, reducing your stress. Candles can provide aromatherapy, and taking a bath is an easy way to accomplish self-care with something you were already going to do. According to HuffPost, cleaning can release endorphins, clear distractions, and help people de-stress and cope with their feelings. 

• Take a bath

• Light a candle

• Make a list of your tasks based on importance

• Organize your planner

• Clean your personal space

No matter what you decide to do, taking care of yourself mentally impacts you physically. We encourage you to try something new that works for you. It may evolve into a new hobby, or a fun event with friends. No matter what works for you, taking care of yourself should always be your first priority. 

Abby Raffo

South Carolina '24

Family, friends and fun make me happiest! But, I also love dogs, writing and cooking. I am a strong believer in equality for everyone, no matter their background :)
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.