This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Looking at Pinterest or to friends for workout ideas is great, but if you’re looking for something new, fun and effective in the Columbia area – look no further. These five gyms are awesome; especially if you’re someone who thrives off of constant instruction and motivation. Here is a list of gyms that offer unique and fun ways to burn calories and reach your fitness goals.

1. 9Round 

Location: 650 Lincoln St #200, Columbia, SC 29201; 5424 Forest Dr #120, Columbia, SC 29206

9Round incorporates a kickboxing focus, while intermixing cardiovascular and circuit training. The programs are comprised of nine challenging workout stations developed by a World Champion Kickboxer (so you know they’re legit and effective). If you’re someone who is never on time, there’s no need to fret. At 9Round, you come when you can because there are no class times! Upon your arrival, 9Round trainers wrap your hands to prepare for the day. While training, you’ll use heart rate training to stay in your target fat burn zone and 9Round trainers will demonstrate each exercise based on your fitness level. During each 30-minute session, you circulate through each station every three minutes and after station nine, your full body workout is complete. Workouts differ daily to keep your body guessing with each visit.

2. Fit Columbia

Location: 2002 Blossom St, Columbia, SC 29205

Fit Columbia offers one-on-one personal training and semi-personal workout sessions. I don’t know about you, but lyengar wall yoga and aerial yoga sounds pretty intimidating to me… Luckily, Fit Columbia’s classes are designed for every yogi level- from beginner to the most advanced. Some of the various exercise opportunities Fit Columbia offers are blends on strength and cardiovascular trainings – stretch therapy, speed and agility conditioning, aerial/wall/hatha yoga, bungee fitness and even kickboxing. No need to worry. All of these workouts are designed just for you and your level of fitness. While you’re there, be certain to relax and de-stress in their anti-gravity experiences (cocooning and group parties). Fit Columbia’s classes are flexible, so everything can be scheduled at your convenience with your friends and family.

3. Orangetheory

Location: 4708 Forest Dr, Columbia, South Carolina 29206;10296 Two Notch Rd #2, Columbia, SC 29229

At Orangetheory you will be guided and encouraged by personal trainers alongside the participants in your session(s). Orangetheory provides top-of-the-line equipment and upbeat music to keep your energy high. The vibe at Orangetheory is that of a group workout, while having the attention of a personal trainer. Although, it is a “group workout”, you’re never expected to be on the same fitness level as anyone. Your experience will be modified and tailored to your fitness needs by way of their heart rate monitors. Orangetheory’s goal of training with heart rate monitors is to maintain a target zone that stimulates your metabolism and increases energy. Their members burn an estimated 500 to 1,000 calories in 60 minutes and keep burning calories for up to 36 hours. WOW, sign us up!

4. Pure Barre

Location: 2123A Greene St, Columbia, SC 29205; 3000 Rosewood Dr, Suite 6, Columbia, SC 29205

Some exercises are more beneficial for women than others. At Pure Barre, every class is tailored to help those pesky areas women struggle with most: hips, thighs, abs, booty and arms. Pure Barre offers a full-body workout that you’ll receive in less than an hour (that means more time for smoothies after!). The technique involves no jumping or bouncing, in other words it’s low-impact meaning your joints are protected. Following each strength workout is a stretching section, which creates long and lean muscles. This technique is trying to defy gravity by tapering everything in while lifting. During class, you’ll be blocking out your surroundings through concentration similar to that of a yoga or meditation class. This will create a transformed mind and body while building long and lean muscles!

5. SWEAT

Location: 1125 Lady St Columbia, SC 29201

If you love cycling, then SWEAT is absolutely something you should look into. It’s the most innovative indoor cycling studio in the Carolinas. SWEAT is designed to make you think differently about working out and cardio. The instructors are there to keep you motivated and moving to the beat of the music. SWEAT is not a traditional cycling class, movements are added to work out your shoulders, triceps, biceps, abs and obliques while your lower body is still keeping in-tune with the cardio. After class, you’ll receive calorie-torching, body-toning results from a workout that feels more like a party. If you’re concerned you are notup for it, don’t worry the instructors are trained to help with all levels of riders.

Check out one of these local gyms next time you’re looking to switch up your workout routine!

Cooper Crews

South Carolina

Cooper is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying public relations. Some of her favorite things are Harry Potter, adrenaline filled adventures, being outdoors, loving on her rescue pup Charlie and binge watching Netflix. After graduation, she hopes to travel the world and find her dream job in public relations. 
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.