This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

There is something to be said about artists that not only use their platform for messages of activism but also nod back to the powerful voices that have paved the way. It seems that Hozier is paying homage to the greats that have influenced his sound and inspired his actions of social awareness within his recently dropped EP Nina Cried Power, but how much should we really be praising him? I ask this question not to critique him directly as an artist, but rather his position within the limits of society.

Hozier stated in an interview with Billboard, “Hozier Unpacks His New ‘Nina Cried Power’ EP: ‘It’s a Thank You Note to the Spirit of Protest’” that the EP, released on September 6th, was a credit to the legacies of protest within American rock and blues artistry. Hozier says his inspiration was propelled forward by the voices of prominent artists like Nina Simone, Joni Mitchell, Billie Holiday, James Brown, and Mavis Staples (all names mentioned within the EP’s title track “Nina Cried Power”). Hozier acknowledged in the article that, “There is absolutely no rock and roll without blues music. There is no blues music without one of the most horrendous atrocities of human trafficking in the last few centuries. It is, of course, a really difficult subject. Everything that’s popular music swings off the work and the achievements and the legacy of Black artistry.” He shows that not only does he recognize the roots to the music he loves, but sees the parallels within today’s society and how aspects of the music industry have brushed the painted hand of the past under the rug. By specifically having the EP and it’s title track named after a widely successful black woman musician, Nina Simone, who is known for her beautiful and politically charged anthems, the work is transformed into so much more than a song. Hozier is actively using his position of power to elevate the voices and experiences of others who dominant society tends to pass over or de-legitimize. Nina is a powerful artist that deserves more credit than she has still yet to receive.

The “Nina Cried Power” video urges forward this activist message by highlighting key dissenters within recent Irish history. Activists such as Christina Noble, Bernadette McAliskey, Eamon McCann, and many more are featured within the video who have fought for human rights, gender equity, reproductive rights, gender recognition legislation, and other actions of powerful change within Ireland. “Nina Cried Power” reflects the diverse backgrounds of political and social dissent within Ireland and the United States currently and historically. Hozier comments that the video is a reflection of the importance of activist tradition in the context of life and rights. Ireland has recently faced a shift in its socio-political culture including the legalization of gay marriage in 2015. His piece is both a thank you note and a reveling in the work of protest. It stands as a reminder to the masses of just how worthwhile it is to raise one’s voice in song and speak truth to power.

This tribute to protest musicians and the contemplation of his own ability as an artist to fight against injustices found within “Nina Cried Power” is only made that much more powerful when you are reminded how Hozier had spent the last two years advocating for housing, abortion access, and restitution for the crimes of the Catholic Church of Ireland. He is not merely spouting off words of activism because its “trendy” or a good “PR move” he is backing up his words with actions for progress. He is dissenting against systems of limitation and oppression.

After initially listening to the album, but especially “Nina Cried Power” I was filled with this resonant calling that only a few songs or movies seem to be able to provoke. I felt called to action. Often times I feel like my experience with feminism and activism is so strongly provoked by instances of intense anger or despair, it is rare to feel love and compassion when initially moving towards activism. Often the love follows when I get to interact with the community for change. This song seems as though it could be the protest anthem for today and tomorrow’s world, urging us all to step up and spread real social change. It’s revitalizing.

The real question is whether this will be sustaining. I see many listening to this music feeling inspired and re-awoken to the work and people they are passionate about. However, if this fire within the chest is not translated into tangible steps, hard work, and the dismantling of power structures, then it does nothing. It becomes yet another hit song or hit album that fades into oblivion after a few months. Hozier is speaking up, but will others in his position follow and continue with acts that support human rights. Will I hold true to my word and reinvest in the activism I love, or is it all for not? In the end, “It’s not the waking, it’s the rising.”

Related Articles: Writing as Self Care, Force of Nature: Women in Outdoor Recreation, You Are Art

Natalie Weaver is a junior at Sonoma State studying english with an emphasis in secondary education and women's & gender studies. 
Contributor account for HC Sonoma