This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

After a long week filled with school, work or just other responsibilities, the countdown to the weekend is something we all look forward to. More specifically, I look forward to Friday where at the end of the day the weekend officially begins. Like many of us, Friday night equals going out. And, while it may be fun to get all dolled up, and let loose, it may not be as fun when a night out turns into a hot mess. Here are a few tips to help you ensure that your night of fun, stays fun.  

1. Buddy System. The buddy system is something that we’ve been told to do since we were young, and several years later IT IS STILL IMPORTANT!  Coming up with a safe word with your group of gals can help you guys communicate when things start to go south. It is easy to get all wrapped up in the party scene but keeping a head count throughout the night, and keeping in communication can help you all leave together.

2. Keep your phone charged. Making sure that everyone’s phone is fully charged before going out can be the key to a safe night. With a charged phone, you can all call each other when you get lost, or call a taxi when you’re ready to call it a night.

3. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A RIDE HOME! If you are attending an off campus party make sure your DD stays sober, and does not turn into DD = Drunk Driver. If no one wants to DD, then make sure you have enough money to pay for a taxi. Or you can also put your credit card information into apps like Lyft and Uber, so you don’t have to worry about money when you can hardly remember where you live. (PSA at SSU, the front desk offers taxi vouchers for just 5$)

​     4. Never, Never, Never drink a random drink! Make sure your drink is something that you personally poured, or something that is sealed completely. Or If you’re bringing anything to drink, like to a house party, make sure it is in a cup with a lid. You never know what people’s intentions are.

5. Pace yourself.  While it may be tempting to let loose because you obviously deserve it after a long week, be realistic about how many drinks you can handle and still have a good time. It is surprisingly easy to consume one drink too many, turning a night of fun into a night of tears.

6. TRUST YOUR GUT! If you have a bad feeling about a certain party, or a certain someone, don’t ignore your feelings! Instead follow them, even if it means removing yourself from the party, it is better for you to feel comfortable then uncomfortable.

At the end of the day, planning ahead can help you and your squad have a fun (but safe) night!