5 Inspiring and Encouraging Books You Need to Read Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

College can be a confusing and hard time no matter who you are. It is a time of change, growth, and figuring out who you want to be as a person. No matter how “together” your life is, sometimes we all need to step back and take time to work on ourselves. That’s why I’ve compiled a list of five books to help inspire you, encourage you, or to simply remind you how great you are!

1. The Universe Has Your Back 

Anxiety and depression are common struggles that many college students face. If you’ve ever gone through a hard time, and questioned everything about your life, this book is for you. Written by New York Times best-selling author Gabrielle Bernstein, the book proclaims that “readers will learn to stop chasing life and truly live.” Hardcover, $14.99 amazon.com.

2. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life 

Written by Jen Sincero, this book includes short stories, do-it-yourself exercises, and lots of humor. The title explains a lot, and in the book Sincero encourages readers to love themselves, and to start living the kind of life that they want to live, without the boundaries of fear. Definitely a helpful book for college students trying to find their path post grad. Paperback, $9.60 amazon.com.

3. Big Magic 

This book, written by Eat Pray Love author Elizabeth Gilbert, focuses on how to get inspired. The book exudes Gilbert’s love of creativity and the creative process, and will make you feel inspired throughout the whole thing. POPSUGAR reviewed the book and described it as, “A must read for anyone hoping to live a creative life… I dare you not to be inspired to be brave, to be free, and to be curious.” Hardcover, $13.72 amazon.com.

4. The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don’t Have with People You Don’t Like Doing Things You Don’t Want to Do (A No F*cks Given Guide)  

In this parody of Marie Kondo’s bestselling book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, Sarah Knight helps readers start making decisions for themselves and ridding themselves of obligations that are not fufillng. The book’s honest tone (and many f bombs) are unconventional, but the message is one that is helpful in getting you to mold the life that YOU want. Hardcover, $11.55 amazon.com.

5.  10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works–A True Story  

This book, written by “Nightline” anchor Dan Harris, comes after Harris suffered a panic attack on-air, leading him on a spiritual and self-shaping journey. Winner of the 2014 Living Now Book Award for Inspirational Memoir, Harris also makes meditation and spiritual awareness approachable, while helping readers take control of the “voice in their head.” Hardcover, $15.99 amazon.com. 

Christina is a sophomore at SMU studying Advertising and Fashion Media. When not writing, she enjoys cooking, exploring Dallas, and playing with her pug puppy, Stella. You can follow her on Instagram @prettylittlemyers. 
We are the SMU Team.