kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easy Dorm Room Workout to Get You Ready for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

Summer is just a little over a month away now, and it’s never too late to incorporate some easy dorm room exercises into your daily routine to help prepare for bikini season. Follow Bailey and Analy’s step-by-step guide for getting fit without ever having to leave your room.

Before you begin, remember to drink lots of water, stretch and take breaks. Don’t stress your body out. Try your hardest and do as much as you can, but don’t be afraid to modify your workout if it is too much for you in the beginning — you can always work up to the numbers that have been recommended. Review the video and pictures if you are not familiar with the exercises.

1. Warm up: 50 “jumping Jills” to stretch out your body. The key is to get your muscles warm and loose before doing any strenuous activity to reduce the risk of injury. We recommend a little stretching before you begin your “jumping Jills.”

2. 50 crunches followed by one minute of hip raises (three sets): You should feel your lower abs work, and make sure to squeeze your butt tight on the hip raises. 

3. 30 bicycles. Do these as slow or as fast as you want, making sure to touch the opposite elbow to the opposite knee each rep to really feel the burn.  

4. 10 leg raises. Try to keep your leg straight and bring it up and down in a controlled way. It’s not about how fast or how high you can do your leg raises; it’s the control that really works your outer thighs. 

5. One-minute full body plank. Butt down and tummy tight; we like to do these together to help each other stay in correct form.

6. One-minute “Superman” (held constantly or alternating) 

7. Side leg raises (30 seconds per leg, with or without ankle weights)

8. Two-minute standing side curl. The opposite elbow should touch the opposite knee, keep the standing leg straight to avoid an injury and get the most from this exercise. 

9. 20 squats followed by 20 lunges (three sets, with or without weights). Make sure your knee is not extended past your foot to avoid risk of injury.

10. 10 jump squats. Once again, take your time, get as low as you can, and watch those knees by pretending to sit in a chair.

11. One-minute calf raises. Go up on those toes and down — simple as that! (This can also be done on stairs by lowering your heel over the edge and up).

12. 20 alternating dumbbell bicep curls. Keep your elbows in tight and control your arms so you’re not swinging the weights up.

13. 15 rope bicep curls. This is the same as with the dumbbells. Keep your elbows in tight to your sides. 

14. Rows and kickbacks (three rows, three kickbacks), for one minute.

15. 10 reverse fly.

16. 15 chair dips. Make sure your arms and legs are at 90-degree angles. 

17. 10 tricep push-ups. These can be done on your knees or toes, and make sure your elbows are in tight to your sides.

18. Stretch!