bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

What to Do When You’re Stressed..or Sad..Or Overwhelmed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

When people ask me how I’m doing as they pass me on my way to class, my usual awkward response is “oh y’know, livin’ the dream”, but let’s be real, as fun as college is sometimes, it’s really not always ‘the dream’ and it’s not easy living all the time. There are days when I love being here, when my homework is done and I can watch Clueless in my bed with my roommates while single-handedly eating an entire bag of goldfish. There are other days when I am sitting amongst loads of homework and am questioning my major and my life choices and my existence. And in times like those, which happen far too frequently, as I’m sure they do for other people too, I need some sort of relief from those emotions of fear and being overwhelmed. I have come to realize that I need an action plan when my usually well put together sh*t inevitably hits the fan. Although I’m not an expert by any means, this is what little I have to offer: 

1. Regardless of how much work I have to do, I know it’s gonna get done. I try not to stress too much about what I can’t control…and as much as I wish, I can’t control how many projects or papers or presentations my professors want to load me up with. It’s gonna get done. But a little time management helps too. Try to plan out what you need to do and then take it step by step. Day by day. 

1. Even if you’re busy, which you obviously are (who am I kidding?), take time to do things that are good for you. Go to yoga on Tuesday nights even if, actually, especially if you’re stressed about homework. It’ll still be there after your hour of relaxation and de-stress. And it definitely doesn’t have to be yoga. It can be taking a nap, listening to music, writing, watching Netflix, something that isn’t work. 

1. Make time for GOOD friends. The ones who will tell you everything’s gonna be fine when it feels like everything’s going to sh*t. The ones who come cuddle when you’re tired or lonely or sad. The ones who will watch 27 Dresses with you even though y’all have seen it (shamelessly) far too many times. 

1. College is literally your job. And it’s a hard job. It’s ok to have bad days. Or to get a bad grade. Or not give 100% on your Canvas discussion post. Cause guess what…everybody said the same thing anyway…Cut yourself some slack.

1. Call your people. When I’m angry at the world or at people or at the fact that the dining hall doesn’t have chicken noodle soup on the one day I want it, I call my brother. Or my best friends from back home. Yes, it might be insignificant, but at least you want people you love to tell you it’s ok or that you’re overreacting.

1. Make a marg on a Tuesday. It’s ok. 

Hi! I'm Abby, an International Relations major with minors in French and Peace and Justice. I am passionate about working on social justice issues in my community so that is my main focus in school. I love to be outside in any ways possible and in my free time, I find most peace in writing, specifically poetry.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.