Midterm Madness: Ways to De-stress, Refocus, and Boost Your Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

As we find ourselves deep in the middle of the semester, it’s nearly impossible not to get overwhelmed. Between the exhaustion of the first half, followed by more exams, essays, projects and presentations, we definitely need (and rightfully deserve) a little break! Here are a few short things you can do to brighten your day and relieve stress in the middle of all the chaos:

Ten minutes of social media: I know personally, my phone is my biggest distraction. I’ve found that if I work for about an hour or so, I’m ready for a break. I usually benefit from being productive for a designated amount of time, then taking five or ten minutes for Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Not into social media? Spend that little bit of time texting a friend or a parent, or reading a few pages of a book (one that is NOT for class).

Plan a movie night with your friends: Obviously with so much going on it’s hard to find time to be with friends. Plan a movie night, or another fun activity to do together, and you’ll be focused on getting all your work done early so that you can enjoy it. Still too much work to do that? Plan it for the weekend, encouraging you to get a lot of your work done during the week!

Make yourself a cup of coffee or tea: While you drink it, put on some music and just relax for a few moments. It’ll help you decompress, and you’ll get more energy to finish that research paper!

Write yourself encouragements on sticky notes: Put them on your mirror, on the wall by your bed, on your textbooks, anywhere! They serve as little reminders that this stressful time is going to pass. Also, write some for your friends–I guarantee it will make them smile!

Make time for what you enjoy: No matter how crazy the semester gets, it’s important to schedule a little bit of time for something that makes you, you. Maybe it’s exercising, going to church, practicing a musical instrument, or anything else, but that little break will help you refocus and be more successful!

This is the first time I’ve personally experienced the midterm of a college semester, but I can now understand why people say it’s hectic! We’re all in this together!

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.