bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get a Good Night’s Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

We all know how crucial it is for our health to get a good night’s sleep, but if you’re anything like me, it can be quite difficult to fall asleep. Most nights I find myself tossing and turning for hours trying to get some shut eye, and when I do I usually wake up multiple times a night and repeat this frustrating cycle. This leads me to get about four to five hours of sleep a night and not the recommended eight hours of sleep. And let’s face it, being this sleep deprived leads to not just an irritated mood the next day, but also long-term effects on our physical and mental health. Here are some ways to help improve your sleep and ensure you get a good night’s rest:

1. Power off.

It’s a no-brainer you won’t get any sleep with your phone vibrating next to you the whole night or having the TV on while you fall asleep, but sometimes we just can’t help it and we end up depriving ourselves of sleep. We just need to remind ourselves to put our phones on silent and out of reach so we can get some much needed sleep.

2. Make your environment comfortable.

I get my best sleep when I’m back at home in my bed, and that is mostly due to my sleep environment at home is the most comfortable for me. This is why I suggest doing whatever you can to achieve a comfortable sleep environment. Whether it involves investing in soft linens, buying a fan to make it cooler in your room, or even listening to soothing noises, whatever it takes will definitely be worth the extra hours of sleep.

3. Limit the caffeine.

As tired college students our go-to solution for a boost of energy is a cup of coffee. If you’re having trouble falling asleep at night though, it is best to avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening. Instead try to opt for an alternative source of energy like some fresh fruit or a smoothie and let the natural sugars give you a pick-me-up.

4. Relax yourself.

One of the reasons why I have trouble sleeping is because I allow my stress and late night thoughts to keep me up. I am constantly overthinking situations and stressing out when I should be relaxing for a good night’s rest. To resolve this, I make sure to incorporate a calming activity like a warm shower or reading a book before bed to take my mind off of things.

5. Take melatonin supplements.

Melatonin is a natural hormone we produce which helps us control when we sleep and when we awake. Sometimes we may take this due to factors like stress, lack of sleep, or changes in sleep patterns. By taking melatonin supplements it can help those who lack sleep, but consult your doctor first before you consider taking these supplements.

Writer for HerCampus at SLU.