This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Burnout: we’ve all experienced it, whether it be after a stressful week of midterm exams or at the end of a challenging semester. Navigating burnout during the COVID-19 pandemic is unlike any stress we have ever felt before. People feel the effects of burnout in different ways; for some it may feel like drowning in a sea of problems and uncertainty and for others it may feel like scaling a mountain of confusion. Burnout is defined as a reaction to extreme prolonged periods of stress, resulting in feelings of anxiety, helplessness and struggling to find the motivation to succeed in one’s life. If you have been feeling this way, these are some methods that I have used to cope with the semester blues.

1. Be proactive in managing your workload.

In my experience, burnout tends to breed with procrastination. Using simple study methods such as a calendar or planner can help foresee exam and project schedules. To-do lists help to minimize overwhelming assignments and can help prioritize the most pressing tasks. Establishing a study schedule with ample time to succeed can help calm that night-before-the-exam rush and allow the brain’s long-term memory to grasp conceptual ideas. 

2. Phone a friend—you may find that you are not alone in your challenges.

There’s nothing quite as relieving as finding community in your struggles, and burnout is no exception. In a study conducted by the American Psychological Association in 2020, 87% of Generation Z college students say that their education is a significant source of stress. This leads into the additional statistic of 67% of Generation Z college students stating that the pandemic makes planning for their future feel impossible. In these times, we must find solidarity now more than ever. Reaching out to a friend for a coffee or a study date can help develop meaningful conversations or just a good laugh.

3. Ask for help.

Reaching out to resources such as academic tutoring, the counseling center, financial aid, student advisement and career specialists can aid in reducing anxiety and clarifying information. These resources are available for a reason and many students are unaware of the services offered. There is no shame in reaching out for help, rather it is seen as a sign of strength and resilience to rise above challenges. Many professors are eager to help their students in office hours or Zoom meetings and enjoy the opportunity to broaden their perspective of a student and develop a relationship beyond test scores and assignments.

4. Develop self-care strategies.

Human needs such as sleep, nutrition, socialization and movement are essential to developing a healthy mindset and wellbeing. Aiming for small goals in healthy eating habits, a full night’s rest, a short walk with friends or adequate hydration is a small step to big changes in one’s lifestyle. Self-care varies from person to person, but the core of self-care is the act of doing something that nurtures one mind and body. Exercise, art, music, meditation and enjoying time with loved ones are all excellent examples of self-care.

5. Remember why you started.

College is difficult; there’s no doubt about it. In times of stress, I think back to how I felt entering Saint Louis University my freshman year. The light of excitement and the passion may feel more difficult to find now than before, but I always find that spark within me when I remember just why I started. As a nursing student, I realize my love for the nursing profession when imagining how all of my hard work will pay off tenfold when a future patient approaches me in need. Whatever your future profession is, identify your purpose and as long as it feels right, stick with it—you are capable of anything you put your mind to.

A tried and true New Yorker turned Midwesterner who lives for human connection, powerful femininity and vivid authenticity. A Nursing major passionate about wellness, animals, travel, music and a good sunset.