BTC WELLNESS?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC WELLNESS?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design
Wellness

Five Tips for Focusing on Wellness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As students, we are all faced with stress whether it’s due to academics, extracurriculars, or personal struggles. For many of us, there is the additional stress of adapting to online classes and transitioning to home learning amidst the pandemic. I have finally developed a consistent routine that encompasses my school and non-school related tasks, and I have already noticed positive changes in my wellbeing and productivity levels. If we want to ensure academic success, especially with the additional worries of the pandemic, then it is important that we first focus on taking care of ourselves.

Here are some things to focus on in your daily routine that will make your mind and body healthier, and thus, help you succeed in other areas of your life!

1. Consistent wake-up and sleep times

One of the most helpful aspects of my routine is going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day. A few weeks ago, I started setting an alarm to ensure this. Even though my classes start around noon this semester, I wake up a few hours prior so that I am not rushed in my morning routine. It has been more challenging to consistently sleep earlier as I was not previously mindful of sticking to a bedtime. However, sleeping within a consistent time frame is still beneficial if you struggle to sleep at the same exact time every night. 

2. Wellness for the body

In my opinion, what you eat for breakfast sets the tone for how your body is going to feel on that day, which is why a healthy breakfast is important for a productive day. Make sure to keep snacks nearby as well to eat during breaks to fuel your body after all that studying! 

Don’t forget exercise – whether you prefer exercising before your day starts or when it ends, including exercise in your daily routine has benefits for your body and improves your mood. I like to exercise in the morning before class so that I start my day on a healthy note. 

3. To-Do Lists

I’m a strong advocate for making to-do lists, as this helps me hold myself accountable and avoid procrastinating. Recently, I have started writing a daily to-do list in a notebook that includes specific assignments that I need to get done that day (ex. dedicating a chunk of time to studying) along with non-school tasks. I include questions to fill out at the end of my day about my daily water intake (you drink more water when you hold yourself accountable!) and overall mental/emotional health. This adds more focus on my wellbeing, which is something we should remember to address during the chaos of school.

4. Limiting phone use

Keeping your phone out of sight when studying makes more of a difference than you may think. I have started keeping my phone in another room on the other side of the house, and it has made such a difference in my productivity because I am more likely to accomplish more tasks before going to get my phone. 

5. Prioritizing 

Depending on the intensity of your daily schedule, you may have a lot of free time or barely any. Whatever the case, it is important to prioritize assignments, extracurriculars, and recreational time in whatever order is most important to you. That being said, keep in mind what type of person you are and whether you can balance school and going out or if that is too overwhelming for you. You can try limiting plans during the weekdays so that any extra time is dedicated to getting ahead on assignments and use the weekends to spend time with friends. 

Hopefully you found these tips helpful and will try to include some (if not all!) in your own daily routine. It will be tricky at first, but it becomes easier with motivation and self-discipline. Remember, it is okay if you forget to exercise one day or if you don’t complete everything on your to-do list! These tips are meant to increase your mindfulness about what you do each day and allow you to be your best self, so if you slip up, you can try again tomorrow. The most important thing to remember is that you’re at least trying to work towards your goals and that in itself is a step in the right direction. 

FRIENDS lover (the TV show and the social thing), US history fanatic, world traveler, and can typically be found eating spinach artichoke dip and tacos when not drowning in pre-med studies