5 Things You Can Do When Experiencing Intrusive Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

What are Intrusive Thoughts?

Intrusive thoughts are unwanted disturbing thoughts that enter the brain involuntarily. They can range from thoughts about hurting yourself or others to unwanted sexual thoughts. Most people will have some intrusive thoughts throughout their lifetime, but it becomes an issue when people experience anxiety or OCD because of them. Some people will latch onto these thoughts and start to question their being. Therefore, I have put together a list of things that have helped me when experiencing intrusive thoughts.

1.   Create a mantra

When experiencing intrusive thoughts, try telling yourself these things:

• “It’s only a thought”
  • “It will pass”
  • “I’m okay”

2.   Use imagery

I have found it helpful to use imagery in my mind when experiencing intrusive thoughts. Here are some imagery ideas:

• Crinkling up the thoughts and throwing them away
  • Storing the thoughts inside a closed box
  • Tearing up the thoughts like pieces of paper

3.   Call a loved one

Intrusive thoughts can often have a powerful hold on their subject and can cause irrational thoughts and behavior. When I find myself feeling this way, I’ve found it helpful to call a family member or a good friend for a voice of reason.

4.   Wind down

Intrusive thoughts can often be overwhelming. If this is the case, napping or meditating can help clear one’s mind.

5.   Therapy

Along with these techniques, it can be very helpful to see a therapist. A therapist will provide you with a source of comfort, as well as giving you an outlet to speak openly about your thoughts and receive advice.

Intrusive thoughts can be extremely scary and may cause one to question themselves and their sense of security. It is important to continue to tell yourself that you’re okay and that these thoughts don’t define you. 

Writer for Her Campus at Saint Louis Univeristy. Spend most of my time learning how to teach little children. Making people happy is what makes me happy! Love teaching people about mental health and always up for a good pastry.