Waitlisted: 15 Fun Classes to Take Instead!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Well ladies, the most wonderful time of their year has finally come: registration (kidding about the wonderful part). The leaves have fallen, rumors of snow are all around us, and we’re already planning for spring classes! We know that the process can be daunting and you’re probably frantically trying to find back-ups to popular classes you didn’t get into. Don’t fret; with a little help from the College Catalog, we’ve compiled a list of amazing, under-the-radar classes you may not have discovered!

Introduction to Electronic Time-Based Media (AR240: 4 credits)

An exploration of electronic tools and processes using sound and video as artistic mediums. Students will engage time as the structural framework in which to build short experimental sound and video pieces. Projects involve working with analog and digital systems in a contemporary electronic media studio. Students will use analog mixers and synthesizers to process video and audio signals in real time. Listening to and screening of experimental sound and artist-produced video will provide an historical overview of electronic media as creative art making tools. Prerequisites: AR 131 or AR 132 or AR 134. Lab/Credit Fee: $105 Studio Art Faculty

Carving Processes In Wood (AR 253: 4 credits)

An exploration of carving processes and concepts related to wood in sculpture. Studio activity will concentrate on woodcarving. Slides and studio presentations will provide the basis for study of the technical and historical development of stone carving. Students will gain practical experience with drawing as it relates to carving processes, conceptual thinking, and the realization of three-dimensional form. Prerequisites: AR 132 or permission of instructor. Lab/Credit Fee: $75 J. Cunningham

Metal-Smithing (AR 319: 4 credits)

This is an advanced studio course in the jewelry and metal-smithing sequence. Students explore the plastic potential of precious and nonprecious metals through the process of raising, forging, hollow forming, and repoussé. Inventiveness, personal initiative, and creative self-expression are particularly emphasized in this course. Prerequisites: AR 219. May be taken for credit three times with permission of instructor. Lab/ Credit Fee: $75 D. Peterson

History of Modern Design (AH 265 3 credits)

A history of modern design from 1750 to the present, with an emphasis on design movements in the twentieth century. We will focus on modern European and American design, surveying objects made from a wide range of materials, including textiles, metals, ceramics, and the print media. We will situate movements such as Arts and Crafts, Art Nouveau, and Bauhaus in their cultural and art-historical contexts. (Fulfills humanities requirement.) K. Hauser

Inside the Museum (AH 322: 4 credits)

An examination of the history, theory, and practice of modern museums from the turn of the century to the present day, with a focus on the relationship between living artists and the museum. Students will gain experience in many aspects of museum operation including exhibition, education, and conservation. Guest speakers will join with the Tang Museum staff to present case studies and facilitate discussions on a variety of topics such as architecture, audience, tourism and administration. Prerequisites: one art history course. I. Berry

Marine Biology (BI 140: 4 credits)

An examination of the intricate and delicate nature of plant, animal, fungal, and microbial life beneath Earth’s oceans and on its

shorelines. Lecture topics include ocean chemistry and biochemistry, physiology of marine organisms, evolution and diversity of the marine world, marine ecosystems and human ocean interactions. The lab will include experimental manipulations of marine plants and animals, survey of various life forms, culture techniques, ecological sampling and Mari culture. Three hours of lecture, two hours of lab per week. (Fulfills natural sciences requirement.) Lab/Credit Fee: $60. D. Domozych

Children’s Literature (ED 231: 4 credits)

A survey of children’s literature. Students will be introduced to a variety of genres, authors, and illustrators with an emphasis on selection criteria and implementation of literature-based programs in the elementary classroom. A consideration of trends and issues in children’s literature. Exploration of topics related to censorship, gender roles, violence, as well as political and social themes. Not open to first-year students. Required of majors. S. Lehr

Film (EN 217: 3 credits)

Study of selected films that demonstrate the development of various rhetorical or expressive techniques in the history of the movies. The course offers practical approaches to film as a medium of communication and as an art by examining a historical and international array of films, both English language and subtitled, by such masters as Griffith, Eisenstein, Chaplin, Stroheim, Lubitsch, Murnau, Pabst, Lang, Clair, Sternberg, Renoir, Carne, Hitchcock, Wells, Ford, DeSica, Rossellini, Ozu, Bergman, Antonioni, Ray, Truffaut, Resnais, Tanner, and others. (Fulfills humanities requirement.) Lab/Credit Fee: $25. R. Boyers

Queer Fictions (EN 338: 3 credit)

A study of twentieth-century gay and lesbian literature, with a focus on British and American authors. Students will explore a literary tradition in which the invisible was made visible—in which historically marginalized sexualities took literary shape. Questions to be considered include: What strategies have lesbian and gay authors used to express taboo subject matter, and how have these strategies interacted with and challenged more traditional narrative techniques? How does the writing of queer sexuality recycle and revise notions of gender? What kind of threat does bisexuality pose to the telling of coherent stories? In what ways do class, race, and gender trouble easy assumptions about sexual community? Prerequisites: Completion of the Introductory Requirement. M. Stokes

Dinosaurs: Evolution to Extinction (GE 104: 4 credits)

Investigation into recent scientific theories about dinosaurs in an attempt to answer: who were they? How did they live? Where did they live? How did they become extinct? What significance was their death to our own evolution? Topics include: dinosaur death, burial, and preservation; evolution, ecology, and extinction; and dinosaur myths in the media

Caribbean Politics (GO 358: 4 credits)

An advanced course investigating political structures and processes in the Caribbean region. Explores the impact of domestic and international factors on political institutions and civil society in the small countries of the region. Themes addressed in the course include culture, ethnicity, crops and other resources, migration and tourism, colonialism and international intervention, drug smuggling and money laundering. The course also examines how climate and weather shape politics and political economy. Prerequisites: IA 101 or GO 103. (Designated a Cultural Diversity course.) The Department

The Rise of Japan (HI 247: 3 credits)

An introductory survey of Japanese history and culture from its beginnings through World War II. Focus is on ways in which Japanese women and men have transformed borrowings from other cultures to create their unique forms of government, society, and the arts. Sources include a diary, short stories, legal documents, and films. (Designated a non-Western culture course; fulfills social sciences requirement.) The Department

History of Jazz In America (MU 306: 3 credits)

A study of the evolution of jazz in America from its roots in various types of black folk music to its eventual emergence as an eclectic, contemporary art form. Special emphasis will be placed on the sociological implications of jazz as a genre of serious black music. Some consideration may be given to gospel, soul, and rock music, all of which are close relatives of jazz. Prerequisites: MU 101, equivalent knowledge of music notation and theory, or permission instructor. The Department

Sleep and Dreams (PS 333: 2 credits)

An examination of the little-understood phenomena of sleeping and dreaming. We will consider theoretical explanations from neuroscience and psychology, and empirical findings from neuroscience and experimental psychology. Students also will investigate a particular aspect of sleeping and/or dreaming through designing and carrying out projects. Prerequisites: PS 101, PS 217; familiarity with statistics is helpful in reading the primary sources employed. H. Hodgins

Costume Design (TH 238: 3 credits)

A studio course in the principles and practice of stage costume design, including an historical survey of clothes, moral conventions, and theatrical costume. The process of design development from concept to completed plates will be encountered through a series of assigned projects. Prerequisites: TH 129. Offered every other fall semester. Alternates with TH337 in fall semester. P. Pawliczak

So, if you’re waitlisted for a few of your classes, choose one of these exciting alternatives, even if it’s slightly out of your comfort zone. We promise it’ll be worth it! Oh, and one more thing, “may the odds be ever in your favor” during this process. 

My name is Elizabeth Reisen and I am a freshman at Skidmore College! I grew up in Summit, New Jersey, love anything related to chocolate and can buggy down with the best of them!!!
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.