Ex-Sci Workout: Sandrine Couldwell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

If you’re like us and skip over the exercise section of every magazine, you definitely know that a fitness routine can be daunting. Where do you even start? To help ease the transition we’ve talked to female athletes on campus to get real examples of what they do to keep in shape!

Salt Lake City native, Sandrine Couldwell ’13 is not only a member of the riding team, but also an Exercise Science major with several tips for healthy living.

Her Campus: What made you want to become an Exercise Science major?

Sandrine Couldwell: I have always been interested in the sciences and when I came to visit Skidmore I knew I was going to be an Exercise Science major. It seemed perfect for me, I was an athlete in high school and still am now, so it’s an interesting combination for me to combine both! I love staying fit and eating healthy, and my major has been able to keep me interested in learning more about the body and its capacities.

HC: Are there any exercise secrets or nutrition tips you can share that many readers may be unaware of?

SC: There are so many! But, here are just a few!

·      You have to eat healthy fats such as salmon, avocados, or cashews in order to lose weight.

·      Beetroot juice, kale, and lentils are a few of many uncommon super foods.

·      Vegetarians should eat red meat once or twice a month in order to keep their body’s response to protein healthy.

·      Always choose to eat whole-grains when you have the choice.

·      Cutting out carbohydrates will help you lose weight, however, mostly only in the form of water weight.

·      As for exercise, long duration, low intensity aerobic exercise is best for burning fat instead of your body’s carbohydrate stores (examples: an hour run at a low to moderate intensity, a soccer game, or a long bike ride). Also, when paired with resistance training such as lifting weights, you can speed up your metabolism.

·      To have a flat belly you need to do cardio, an hour of abs exercises wont work.

HC: Take us through your typical workout step-by-step.

SC: First I start off on an elliptical or treadmill with some resistance or incline and do about forty-five minutes. Next, I go down to the small weight room and do two sets of

·      10 real push-ups

·      15 air squats

·      20 lunges (10 each leg)

·      20 calf raises

·      20 sit-ups on a bosu ball

·      40 side crunches (20 each side)

·      40 bicycle crunches

[pagebreak]

HC: What are some of the most surprising things you have learned about the human body over the course of your studies?

SC: I have learned so many interesting and incredible functions and facts of the body that I genuinely find truly amazing! Here are a few of them that science and non-science nerds might find surprising.

·      We have over 60,000 miles of blood vessels in our body.

·      Our capillary vessels where oxygen and carbon dioxide is exchanged have the surface area to cover a whole tennis court.

·      A healthy weight person has enough fat in their body to keep them alive for about 50 days.

·      You can perform at your maximal intensity exercise for only 10 minutes.

·      And, you have about 5-6 liters of blood in your body, and around 40 of water.

HC: Is it possible to get in shape in only several weeks in a healthy way (for example the way a magazine might advertise getting beach ready in 3 weeks)?

SC: I would say it is possible to get healthy in three weeks by eating healthy, beginning an exercise routine, and getting enough sleep. There are also many training adaptations to an exercise program that can be gained in three weeks, improving your overall health; it is just that people beginning an exercise routine don’t notice these changes and adaptations going on inside the body. However, to “see results” it takes sticking to your workout program for longer than three weeks.

HC: What can a busy college student do on a daily or weekly basis to keep in shape?

SC: I would say some of biggest things would be walking to all your classes instead of driving, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and really trying to control portions and food choices in the dining hall. Also, 30 minutes is just 2% of your day, so if you have the time try to go outside for a quick run, or walk, or do some jumping jacks, or jump rope, or better yet, try to get your friends to pass a football or soccer ball it will boost your mood and improve your health. Any work out is better than no work out!

HC: Are there any workout websites, apps or magazines you would recommend? 

SC: Honestly, I have never picked up a workout magazine or used an app. But, I do love Pinterest for short workout examples and for motivation! I would say all these resources are great tools to look up exercises and workouts if you are new to working out or are looking for something new try.

With spring just around the corner and warmer weather on the way, we have the perfect motivation to devise a new workout routine or get back on the fitness bandwagon. As Sandrine notes, you can do little things every day to make your day just a bit healthier. We know we are going to take her advice to heart starting with a nice walk downtown with some friends. 

Emma Weinstein is a senior at Skidmore College majoring in Art History. She loves being a part of Her Campus Skidmore and has written articles throughout her four years. Emma is an avid equestrian and member of the Riding Team. Other hobbies include travel, cooking, and personal fitness.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.