This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

It’s finally October! You know what that means – Halloween is creeping up on us. Getting all dressed up and going out with your friends is probably one of the most exciting times during the fall semester. It’s all fun and games… until you realize you still need to shed a few pounds before you rock this year’s costume(s)!! 

The semester’s really picking up and we’re all getting super busy. So, it’s easy to be totally unmotivated and to put off going to the gym. Here are 5 tips to help you shed those extra pounds ASAP and stay motivated: 

1. Cut the sweets. 

No candy, no cookies, no cake, no ice cream (well, maybe a little…) and don’t overdo it with alcoholic drinks either. Instead, treat yourself to a yummy bowl of fruit. The less junk you put in your body, the more motivated you’ll be to workout!

2. Put your workout clothes on! 

Lay out your workout clothes the night before so that you already have it all figured out. The next day, when it’s time to work out, just put the clothes on! Don’t give yourself time to think about it. 

3. Replace some of those carbs with veggies. 

We all love bread and pasta and all that good stuff, but limiting how many carbs you eat will surely help you slim down quickly. Replace some of the carbs you’d normally eat with veggies and just eat a ton of them. Make fun stuff like stir fries and you won’t even miss the carbs.

4. Keep a fitness journal.

Write down how you feel after your workouts! This is a great way to motivate yourself when you really don’t feel like going to the gym. Just look back at some of the awesome stuff you wrote about how energetic, happy and accomplished you felt after your previous workouts. 

5. Be as active as possibly. 

Park further away from wherever you’re going, take the stairs, sneak in quick workouts. Watching Netflix? Why not workout while you’re at it? Dance in the shower, if you want. Burn those calories!

Stay motivated! 

HCxo, 

Alyssa