This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

While many items are classified as necessary for human existence, why aren’t menstrual products? Talking about periods, which is an essential biological function, is commonly seen as an uncomfortable topic that should be discussed behind closed doors. This is a stigma that has stemmed from beliefs and concepts from other countries that menstruation is looked down upon and detrimental to the body. As a society, we have advanced significantly in normalizing the idea of being open with our bodies, periods specifically, yet we are still undergoing unjust treatment when it comes to gaining easy access to menstrual products.

One day I was strolling through the mall minding my business when all of a sudden, my period came. Multiple thoughts were scrambling through my head as I was digging through my tote bag praying that I had at least one tampon buried underneath everything. Sad to say I did not have any menstrual products on hand. I had already dismissed the fact that there were going to be menstrual product dispensers in the bathroom because I knew I did not have the money for it. However, I knew a pretty convenient method that could act as an alternative for a sanitary product. Sometimes, toilet paper wrapped around your underwear does the trick!

This is the issue.

Why have we had to succumb to this “solution” when our basic human needs are not being fulfilled and, in turn, taxed for as well? I was initially shocked to learn that this is a common occurrence among those of all ages and backgrounds. My shock soon turned to anger as I realized that companies have been profiting off of products that should be considered a necessity. We should not be treating menstrual products as a type of luxury when there are sufferable consequences that come with being scarce of resources. These consequences can have a negative effect on health as well as finances. 

Knowing that many people have dealt with my period horror story experience before truly made me question why nothing has changed. Why are we constantly dealing with the struggle of not having easy access to products that half the population needs? There will never be equality as a society until real change is emitted because we cannot allow this to happen anymore. No one should have to bear the financial and physical burden for a natural bodily function needed for survival.

While similar to the “Pink Tax”, another form of gender inequality in which women targeted products/services cost more than mens’, the tax on menstrual products is a completely different ballgame as it relates to things we actually need. Our first solution is to eliminate the tax on these products. Menstrual hygiene products are considered as “tangible individual property” by many states which is why there is an additional sales tax along with it. These products include tampons, sanitary napkins, menstrual cups and any other product that can be classified as serving the basic menstrual cycle. Groceries and other personal medical items are granted tax exemption so why wouldn’t basic feminine hygiene products be as well? Due to this additional tax price increase, it overall limits the accessibility to menstrual products to those with lower income.

Pads, tampons and other menstrual products should be free of charge and easily accessible in public places, especially schools. They should be more publicized, promoted and affordable in order to assure the best care in the most efficient and just way. Our periods should not be seen as a burden but instead a natural human function and therefore should be free overall. Alleviating the tax is only the first step.

Tag us on Instagram, @HerCampusSJSU, with your thoughts on how menstrual products can become more accessible to all!

Hi !! I'm Mikaila and I am currently a fourth year at SJSU majoring in Communication Studies. I enjoy writing as it allows me to express my thoughts and opinions and share them with others!