This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

People continue to grow and mature throughout the years. With this growth, we continue to learn more about ourselves and our personal boundaries. It is important to understand that boundaries are necessary for any relationship you have with another whether it is paternal, platonic, or romantic. At first, I never seemed to understand the importance of making my personal boundaries with another person clear, but as I meet more people and develop new relationships I understand how this is something that should be discussed. 

Personal boundaries will be different for every individual since it is dependent on their comfort. This can mean a multitude of things. For example, I don’t really enjoy discussing my future with family members. Anytime this topic comes up, I tend to feel a certain amount of pressure. While I know they mean well, this places a sort of stress on me that I don’t necessarily want. Having to explain that this topic is not something I necessarily want to be brought up in social situations has been difficult. However, while the conversation was a struggle, it has helped my health a lot to not discuss this topic with family members. 

I truly believe we should all take a step back to really examine what we are comfortable with and explain these boundaries in any relationship. While the conversation might be uncomfortable or difficult, it is important for you and the other individual. I hope this article encourages you to discover your boundaries and share them in your relationships. 

Tell us how important establishing boundaries is to you by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU! 

Hi my name is Anjali! I am a senior at San Jose State University with a major in Business Administration. I love reading and writing articles for this amazing organization! A majority of my articles revolve around metal health and self care because of how strongly I feel about these topics, and want to continue to shed light on their importance.