Throughout the past year, I have been finding myself with more time for things that I enjoy. This newfound time has allowed me to find new hobbies, or even fall back into old ones, that genuinely bring me joy. By doing this, I find that I am in a more positive headspace while feeling a sense of relief.

For the past couple of months, I decided to get back into the habit of reading for actual enjoyment. This was something I really enjoyed doing when I was younger but was unable to find enough time to continue as the years went on.

Now, I take about thirty minutes in the evening, before I go to bed, to read any of the books I currently have. This has allowed me to limit the amount of time I am on social media, along with bringing me that joy of falling into the storyline of the book.

Finding a book that you truly enjoy, changes everything. When I am able to find a book that I truly love, it is extremely difficult to put it down. This puts me in a position to look forward to my relaxed evening of reading where that is something I can truly enjoy. The impact reading every day has had on my mood is tremendous.

I find that I go to bed in a more relaxed state of mind compared to that when I am on my phone before bed. This translates into my daily routine as well where I have a more positive mindset by looking forward to this time of day.

I definitely recommend incorporating reading into your day for at least 15 minutes to see the benefits this has on your mental health and mood. Tag us on Instagram @HerCampusSJSU with what book you are currently reading!

Hi my name is Anjali! I am a junior at San Jose State University with a major in Business Administration. I continue to love reading and writing articles for this amazing organization!