This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

(Photo by http://melisica.com/post/142133381026)

Letting your imagination run wild is therapeutically necessary for all of us sometimes. It feels great to be a little nonsensical in thought, to not have to worry about thinking within the boundaries of an assignment or thinking to reach a specific purpose or goal.

The mind has a billion different paths to drift on. I have always found it a little interesting to see which path it lands on if I simply let it do its own thing without pulling it back to a specific focus.

This is a great way to get creative inspiration and to get artistic juices flowing. But it definitely does not mean that you only need to do this if you’re doing work in the creative field. Letting your thoughts drift help you motivate yourself and understand your character a little bit better. Sometimes people forget what it’s like to let their thoughts go, to not let themselves focus on anything.

To simply relax, sit back and watch their imagination play a little movie.

Try asking yourself a few fun questions along the way. Questions like,

“If this very moment was the start of a music video, what song would start playing right now?”

“If I had all the money in the world, without needing to worry about it running out, what would I do?”

“If I could have a conversation with any famous person right now, who would it be?”

Don’t think about these answers, but instead take a quick glance at the question and see what your mind lands on. You might find yourself thinking about something completely unrelated, like imagining yourself in a movie instead of a music video or having a conversation with your best friend from middle school instead of a famous person.

It does not really matter.

The important thing is that you’re not trying. You are not making yourself get something out of this, you just want to see where your head ends up if you’re not telling it what to do.

I found myself uncovering some fun little facts about myself while I let my mind drift off.

I realized that whenever I stopped thinking about anything I always had Somebody Else by The 1975 playing in my head. I realized that I really like neon lights shining in the dark night because I always ended up imagining myself being surrounded by them no matter what the context was. I realized that I really want to live in Japan one day, because I keep on placing myself in chilly Tokyo mornings.

Breaking the chains holding your thoughts onto the ground allow you to uncover a whole new world within you that you may not even know. And the best part about this new world is that it never looks the same every time you open the door on it.

What does your world look like?

A 3rd Year Journalism student at San Jose State University. I enjoy writing about an array of things, branching from opinions and thoughts about life to current happenings occurring in the world today. I appreciate being in tune with my feelings and my opinions through my work, more often than not observations of the people and situations around me. I have a dream of allowing people to capture the dark and golden elements of life through the things that I create, be it through writing, pictures or videos.
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.