This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Confidence is not always an easy thing to come by. Not everyone is born radiating self-esteem, in fact not many of us are. Self-confidence takes work. Are you ready to dive in and take the plunge on improving yourself?

1. Work on your posture

Nothing says confident like someone who stands tall. Think about it, when you were little, you always looked up to adults because they were bigger. It’s not like they had all the answers, and neither do you, but standing tall can really improve your image. The majority of CEOs are over 6 ft. and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. When you hold yourself high, people look up to you.

2. Dress your best

I don’t know about you, but when I dress in something that makes me feel comfortable, presentable and reflects my personality, I feel great. When I know I look good, I tend to feel better about myself too.

3. Set small goals

It’s always an amazing feeling when you accomplish something, no matter how big or small. Write down a short list of things that are easy to accomplish. Make your bed, write that paper, apply for that scholarship. When you see everything you’ve done, you’re bound to feel better about yourself and more capable of bigger goals.

4. Change a bad habit

Being in control of you is really the foundation of self-confidence. It’s all up to you to take your life by the reins. So stop chewing your fingernails, smoking cigarettes, drinking soda or whatever bad habit you have and take control. Knowing you have something under control is a perfect way to start building that confidence.

5. Exercise!

Exercising is such an empowering activity. It’s good for your physical and mental health. Not only are you lowering your risk of Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer, but you’re releasing endorphins that make you feel good. Exercising helps you work on being your best self.

6. Think positive

Surely this is one of the hardest to accomplish on this list. Thinking positive is not as easy as it sounds. When you find yourself on a negative train of thought, change its path. Instead of saying, “I can’t do it,” tell yourself “I can!” Your mind could be your biggest roadblock in achieving self-confidence.

7. Fake it ’til you make it

Acting like you know what you’re doing can actually change your mindset. You know those days when you have to give a presentation that you’re not completely prepared for? Getting up there and selling it can be very convincing. I know I’ve been there myself, and acting like I knew it all got me a great grade. So even if you can’t convince yourself that you’ve got self-confidence, convince other people because it’s sure to rub off.

What better a time to work on yourself-esteem than the New Year? Make it a point to focus on yourself because you totally deserve it. Just remember, you really do have something to offer this world. Now get out there and make the most of yourself! What do you have to lose?

Stand Tall. Game Face On. You Got This.

Header image courtesy of Lauren Labbay.

21 years old • Maine • Fourth year exercise science student with dreams of becoming a physical therapist