bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Winter Wellness: How to Stay Healthy in the Colder Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

As temperatures dip down to 30 degrees, I have begun longing for a hot beverage and a winter coat. The coldest season is fast approaching. Here are some tips to stay healthy in the winter!

1. Drink Water

Staying hydrated is especially important in the colder months. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day will have so many positive benefits such as clearing your skin and keeping it from drying out, boosting your immune system and flushing out toxins!

2. Exercise

Winter is definitely not the most appealing time to exercise when there’s the opportunity to bundle up inside with some hot chocolate, but exercising is still important! Exercising will keep you in shape and it can even help combat seasonal affective disorder through the release of endorphins.

3. Switch Coffee for Tea

I recently started drinking vanilla lattes religiously, so I have come to understand how difficult it is to give up coffee. However, herbal beverages are one of the best things to drink (aside from water, of course). I recommend starting the day with some green tea. The caffeine will wake you up, and the benefits of this tea include boosting your metabolism, clearing your skin, lowered risk of cancer and many more!

4. Moisturize

Cold weather leads to dry and cracked skin, and hot showers just dry out your skin even more. If you’re like me and can’t give up your hot showers in the cold weather, be sure to find a good moisturizer and moisturize daily!

5. Sleep Well

This is something that should be done year-round, but it also important in the winter. Getting a good amount of sleep (at least 7 hours) can cure the winter blues, banish those under-eye circles, and help repair your heart and blood vessels.

6. Eat Your Veggies

Eating healthy is one of the best ways to live a healthful life. Luckily, dark leafy greens and other fruits and veggies thrive in the winter month! Brighten up your plate with some kale or winter squash this season!

~

Have a happy and healthy winter!

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen
Co-CC and Co-Founder of our HC chapter at Simmons U. Current senior and PR/Marketing Major. LA born and raised, but a bi-coastal girl in-training. Enthusiast of alpacas, sunscreen and overnight oats.