Why You Need to Make #thestew This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Have you seen any bright yellow, aesthetically pleasing pictures of stew on Instagram lately? Well you’re about too, and this stew is a total game changer. Whether you love to cook or you look the other way, this recipe by Alison Roman will exceed all expectations you, your friends, and your family had of your cooking ability. The second you taste this stew you will be shocked that you made it and it will taste like you know what you’re doing and that you’ve been laboring in the kitchen all day. This stew (literally called #thestew on social media) has been posted thousands of times and continues to be a recurring recipe that just keeps getting more popular.

I recently have become obsessed with Alison Roman because her recipes are practical, unique, and taste amazing. She is a New York Times columnist and has her own cookbook called Dining In (yes I did buy it shortly after discovering the stew).. So many of her recipes are made up of pantry staples and inexpensive, non-perishable ingredients that make it perfect to cook anytime. This stew is mostly made up of yellow onions, garlic, chickpeas, vegetable broth, and canned coconut milk. Not in my wildest dreams would I have thought you could take those ingredients (plus a few more) and make them so vibrant and comforting.

I could go on all day about how much I love this stew (I made it twice in one week for two different sets of friends), but one of the best aspects about it is that it is vegetarian, vegan, and free of so many common allergens. You can make it for a group of friends and everyone will love it! It’s steamy to eat in the winter months, but the spices give it a fresh flavor that would make it perfectly acceptable in the warmer months as well. Once you’ve cooked this so many times that your counter is stained yellow from all the tumeric, Roman has more recipes that have gone viral. Don’t worry, #thecookies will be waiting for you when you are ready….

Find the recipe here.

Abby Bowman

Simmons '20

Retail Management & Marketing Major