This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Being a college student, life is a constant marathon of stress, coffee, and deadlines. I’m almost always in front of a computer, typing paper after paper, ignoring my own basic needs. But we are not machines. Everyone needs to take a break and remember to practice self-care. Here are some of my favorite ways to put myself first while also taking a step away from technology and the headache-inducing light of screens.

1. Get Your ZZZ’s

Sometimes when we’re caught up in the whirlwind of life, we forget about our basic needs, such as eating and sleeping. Make sure you go to bed early so you get the most sleep. I recommend putting some drops of lavender oil on your pillow or in a diffuser- it’s calming effects that will help you fall asleep more easily and peacefully.

2. Nourish Your Body

Eating is super important. It gives us energy and helps our body sustain itself. Even when life gets super busy, make time to eat and have some sit-down meals if you can. We all need to pig out on Ben & Jerry’s every now and then, but it shouldn’t be all you eat that day. Try your best to fit some fruits and veggies into your diet. Snack on some grapes or drink a green juice. Your body will thank you.

3. Pamper Yourself

Taking care of your body isn’t just important, it can be fun and relaxing, too! Try out a new face mask by yourself or with a friend. Take a bubble bath. Paint your nails. Do whatever you want to feel better.

4. Read a Book

Nothing is better than getting immersed in a good book. Pick up that one that’s been sitting on your desk for too long. Or reread a favorite. It’s so easy to get lost in the spiral of Netflix and Hulu these days, but reading can transport you to the same magical worlds without the harmful blue light.

5. Go Outside

Fresh air is everything. Sometimes all you need is to take a walk in nature and breathe some of that fresh air in order to calm down, unplug, and recharge.

6. Make Art

This is a fun way to bring out your creative side. Even if you don’t consider yourself artistic, make something anyway! Never try to strive for perfection; just do what feels right. There are so many great creative outlets such as writing, painting, knitting, drawing, gardening, and so many more! Turn on some music and make something extraordinary!

7. Blast Some Jams

What will make you feel better faster than a playlist filled with songs you just can’t resist singing along to? While this does require some technology, it doesn’t require looking at a screen for extended periods of time. Lose yourself in the music and feel yourself feeling better!

8. Exercise

Some people may scoff at this one. Things might feel hard, but working out is scientifically proven to improve your mood through the release of endorphins. So roll out your yoga mat, go to dance class, get on the treadmill, or even just stretch. It’s a fun and healthy way to feel better without staying plugged in to technology.

9. Talk to Someone

Whether you’re feeling chatty or just want to vent, having a friend to talk things over with is always a good idea. You don’t even have to talk about anything serious. Knowing that you have someone to talk to it always a good thing.

Take care of yourselves!

X

All images are free for public use.

Julia Hansen is a senior at Simmons studying PR/Marketing Communications and English with minors in cinema, media arts, and graphic design. When not writing for Her Campus, she can be found reading every book she can find, retweeting photos of dogs and binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix. Find her on IG @juliarosehansen