This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

After spring break and eating lots and lots of sweets (cookies, cake, ice cream, candy, chocolate) practically everyday, I decided I needed to purge myself of all sweets. The issue is, I have the biggest sweet tooth of anyone I have ever met and I live for candy. I knew I needed to cleanse myself of these sweets in order to one; be healthier, two; remind myself I don’t need sweets constantly, and three; make it so sweets taste that much better when I do eat them. Here is my daily thoughts of my week without sweets.

Day 1: I told all of my friends that I would be doing this, so they had to hold me accountable. This was great, but also hard because they were always watching me. Within the first hour of declaring my week without sweets, I wanted candy. I felt like I needed candy. It was agony!!!!

Day 2: This day was so much worse. My friends ate ice cream and cupcakes in front of me. It took all of me not to buy a Ben and Jerry’s cartoon at Star Market. I mean it took EVERYTHING! My friend hugged me after cause she knew how hard it was for me! That’s how addicted I am!

Day 3: Not as hard of a day, but I was studying all day and really wanted to let myself have chocolate or fruit snacks, as a break. How can one study without candy!? Let me tell you, it isn’t fun.

Day 4: 3 days without candy or ice cream or everything else I love in the world. All I wanted was a twist at bartol, but no, I was staying strong. Easier day, but no day was truly easy.

Day 5: After a test, presentation, studying, and the dreadful housing selection night, I really really really wanted a cookie ice cream sundae to reward myself for getting through it all. I didn’t though. But oh how I wanted to.

Day 6: My body was getting used to no sweets, but at various points throughout the day, I still craved the sugar.

Day 7: At my internship, I always reward myself with M&Ms. Throughout the day, I get to eat M&Ms for getting through the day, it’s what I look forward to. Today there was nothing to look forward to. So I filled myself with apples, popcorn and raisins!

Day 8: I let myself eat one insomnia cookie! I had made it a week and all my friends were getting them, so I let myself. I had never tasted such a good cookie. The chocolate melted in my mouth, but before I knew it, it was gone. My double chocolate chip cookie was gone.

I made it a week without sweets, and have decided to continue to limit my sweets and only allow myself to eat one sweet on the weekend. If you see me, keep me accountable!

Devon Tice

Simmons '20

I am a junior at Simmons University, majoring in Marketing and Management. I spend most my time in the pool, at the mall or exploring Boston!