Wellness

Why 2020 Should be the Year of Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

So, 2020 has been about as bad is 2019 as a whole was, right? It is for me anyways. Well, as my planner says: “Make Yourself a Priority 2020,” and well, I did that. I never thought when I bought the planner last November that I would ever take it literally, but in the last week (prompted by my sister and mom), I started to invest in my own self-care, because after all: you can’t neglect yourself.

I was burnt out by the time Christmas break started. As a person who normally doesn’t want to lay around watching Netflix the whole break, I found myself not caring about watching Netflix for hours and laying around doing nothing productive. For starters, I was sick twice; and for seconds, I was so exhausted after working 10 hours a week, going to school full time, and running Her Campus as a Campus Correspondent for the first semester ever! It was kind of a stressful semester, but it was so worth it!

So my first trip back to Latham Walmart turned out to be a $50 bill, but at least half of it was spent on self-care items. These items and these things to do will never be something your regret investing in. Invest in yourself, it’s important!

So, here’s my list of things you should add to your 2020 self-care routine!

Actually Use the Gym Membership You Pay For

I pay $20 a month for a gym membership at ABC Fitness around the corner from my house. And I’ve maybe used it five times since September after paying for it all summer break that I wasn’t even in the state for. So, to say in the least, I – like many people – have wasted a lot of money not using the gym membership I pay for.

Going to the gym, besides being like the worst daily activity, is actually healthy for your body and mind. Working out can help prevent illnesses, and lower your heartrate after all that caffeine.

Drink More Water

When’s the last time your drank water? Mine was a 30 minute ago because I just went to the gym and sweated to death on the stair climber. However, I am the worse at hydration; and I can go days without drinking water. It’s pretty bad.

Water is important, though. It helps you sleep, clears up your skin, keeps your body going, and is just an essential part of your life. Even if Latham water is not it, girl.

Pimple Cream

You see the celebrities using pimple cream all the time. I have to admit, my skin has always been pretty clear. However, since my face has all of the sudden decided to break out, I decided to try pimple cream.

I used Clean and Clear Advanced Acne Spot Treatment. I get mine from Walmart for $6.47. It’s cheap! Now, I’ve only been using it a few days, so I can’t say the improvement is all that great, but I still have hope.

If you have a better suggestion, let HCS know!

Wrinkle Cream

You probably think I’m insane. I’m 21 and using wrinkle cream. But as my mom always said, “You’re never too young to start.” And that’s right! You’re only ever too old.  I’ve always heard that you have all your wrinkles by the age of 25, they only get more defined as you age. Now, I don’t know if that’s 100 percent true, but if it is! I only have 4 years to prevent any more wrinkles from coming!

I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Face Cream with SPF-15. I get mine at Walmart for $11.22! That’s not bad at all! It’s not a heavy duty wrinkle cream, but it’s thick enough. It helps with discoloration, prevents and reduces fine lines and wrinkles, plus it moisturizes and protects from sun damage! That’s a lot for $11!!!

And the discoloration part is my favorite part! My cheeks have always had a red hue to them, and it has always annoyed me. And within minutes (minutes!) the redness is gone or dimed significantly. It’s amazing!

Moisturizer

You cannot forget moisturizer! Hydrate your face, girl! Especially in the winter when your skin needs a pick me up, it’s important to use a good moisturizer.

I was just telling my friend the other day that it’s important to invest in your skincare and haircare products! So your moisturizer might cost you $30 and your salon brand shampoo and condition might cost your $12 a bottle, but it’s worth it to use products that really work their magic.

My mom got me into this moisturizer, and I’ll never go back from it. It’s Origins Ginzing Ultra-Hydrating Energy Boosting Cream. It cost $30 from Origins, but it’s so worth it! It smells like oranges, it’s super lightweight, firms up your skin just enough that it’s not super tight, and really keeps your skin feeling soft!

It might cost a pretty penny for some of these products, but most of them mean a little goes a long way.

Salon Brand Shampoo and Conditioner

Okay, so I’ve used salon brand shampoo and condition for years now. And if it ever comes down to it, I will eat ramen every day for a week to pay for my shampoo and conditioner. Salon brand might cost you over $10 for a tiny bottle, but your hair feels SO GOOD and CLEAN and NOURISHED.

I use Designline Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner (blue label). My sister uses the Tea Tree ones (green label), which smells amazing because it smells like mint!

The Moisture line doesn’t have sulfates in it. And if you watch Queer Eye, Jonathan told you how bad sulfates are for your hair! It’s a white color, which can be off-putting, but it doesn’t damage your hair as much.

The Tea Tree line promotes hair growth. Which us long haired girls are always looking for!

Really, Designline (made by Regis) is such a good product. They have a line for every hair care need! And Walmart’s salon sells it!

The Moisture Shampoo is $11.49 for the small bottle and $21.99 for the big one. The condition is $12.99 for the small bottle.

The Tea Tree Shampoo is $11.49 and the Conditioner is $12.99

Their Leave-in Condition is also really good, and it’s $25.98 for two bottles!

(All of these available at Walmart!)

Face Wash/Masks

You’re face needs a lot of products to have healthy, youthful skin!

I use Clean and Clear Deep Action facewash! You can get it at Walmart for $5.24! I love the burning sensation it provides (and don’t worry! It says on the bottle that you’ll feel this!) because it really lets you know your skin is clean! It’s gentle on the skin, and last a long time!

I also love to do a good facemask (when I actually remember to use one), and Bliss is such a good line!

HC actually introduced me to this brand, and I can’t say I’m mad about it! I used the What a Melon ($15) mask, Mint Chip Mania ($15) mask, and the Might Marshmallow ($15) mask. You can get them on Bliss’ website (hyperlinks) and all three of these are at Target! You can’t get the full line at Target, but a lot their skincare products are available!

Your skin and hair are important, so make sure you keep up with it. All of these products are really, and definitely worth the investment! You’ll see significant improvement in your skin and hair.  

Happy Self-Care 2020!

Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.