Tips to Get a Better Night’s Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

College life doesn’t exactly allow for eight blissful hours of sleep a night. You might be up until 2 a.m. studying for an exam, then you try to sleep in except you can hear your neighbors’ alarm through the wall. Here are some tips to avoid unnecessary disruptions:

Get a sleep mask

I bought the sleep mask above from Marshall’s for $4. It’s a great solution for the mornings when you’re trying to sleep late but the sun is shining through the windows right onto your face. It’s also helpful if you have a roommate who needs to be up before you, this way they can get ready with a small light on without disturbing you.

Earplugs

These can take some getting used to, but if you’re a light sleeper it’s really worth trying! They are super helpful if you and your roommate are on different sleeping schedules. I was nervous to try these because I didn’t want to miss my own alarm; turns out the earplugs muffle the sound but you can still hear through them! My alarm still wakes me up no problem, just make sure it’s on loud!  

Keep a clean bed

Do your best to make your bed in the mornings, this way when you crawl in it at night the sheets aren’t all twisted at the bottom and the comforter isn’t falling off the side. Also, try to wash your sheets as often as you can. I keep a spare set of sheets, this way I can change them to clean sheets without stressing to wash the used sheets right away; because let’s be real, nothing is better than fresh, crisp sheets.

Drink water before bed

If you’re hungry/thirsty you might have a hard time falling and staying asleep. Make sure you drink lots of water before going to bed. This is especially important for those of us who might not be drinking enough water throughout the day.

Finish your to-do list

There is nothing worse than crawling into bed and realizing that you forgot to submit today’s homework. Keep an organized to-do list and check things off as you go. This will give you peace of mind once bedtime comes around. 

Accounting major at Siena College, graduating May 2019.