This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I have used journaling as a personal outlet to write and organize my thoughts. Journaling started out as a way to write down special moments in my life I never wanted to forget, but now, as a senior ready to graduate from college during a global pandemic, I have used it as a tool to manage my anxiety and stress, as well as, to document those special moments I share with college friends. 

Now, as a 21-year-old woman, I have found mindful journaling to be an incredible tool to keep myself grounded during my regular day-to-day life. Here are some ways in which I use journaling to take care of myself and to take comfort in my thoughts and emotions.

A Generic Lined Journal or Notebook to Write Down Your Thoughts

As mentioned before, I used journaling to remember special memories from childhood to adulthood that I want to remember forever. Writing down these memories are so special to look back on weeks, months, or even years after the moment has ended.

Be Creative with a Bullet Journal

I have started using journaling as a way to keep in touch with my emotions on a daily basis. I have tried to be more in touch with my creative side and I decided to start using a bullet journal to convey my daily emotions and to use it as an overall checkpoint to see how my day was. I have discovered, for me, that using a bullet journal allows me to use other means such as color and art to describe what I’m feeling, instead of using words.

Ask Yourself One Question Per Day

For Christmas my freshman year of college, my dad bought me a one-question-a-day journal. Many brands make this type of journal, but this type of journal gives you one question for every day of the year for a five year duration. Some of the questions are very deep and insightful, but other questions that are given are more fun and light-hearted. This way, you can look back on previous answers from years past. For me, it allows me to compare my growth and life to past years based on my answers to the questions asked.

Journaling as a college student has helped me cope with the daily stress and anxiety that occurs on a regular basis. I hope that these journaling tips can assist you in finding comfort in journaling. 

Cassidy Reid is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Political Science and French.