This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Have you ever wondered what mental health actually is? People talk about it and mention the term constantly; but have you ever stopped for a second and wondered what it is or if yours is good or if you have ever experienced bad mental health? MentalHealth.gov defines mental health as includ[ing] our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.” MentalHealth.gov also states that “it affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.” Now that you know what it is, here are ten tips to better your mental health.

Mindfulness and Meditation

Taking a break and meditating can be very helpful. Being aware of what is going on in your life, and being able to breathe through it can help in a tremendous way.

A Healthy Diet

Eating right and having a healthy diet can lead to better overall health which will improve your mental health and mood.

Exercise

Getting active and exercising is another way to improve your mental health. Exercising for just 20 minutes a day has the ability to generate endorphins that make you happier for up to 24 hours.

Challenging Negative Thoughts and Self-Criticism

Making yourself aware of the negative things in your life that are bringing you down is a very important step in becoming mentally happier. Once you are aware of what is having a negative impact on your moods, you can take steps to reduce them or get rid of them all together.

Work with a Therapist

Therapists often get a bad rep, however, they are there to help you. They are trained in ways to be able to help you on your mental health journey. Trying to take on things on your own can be daunting and having someone there, like a therapist, who you are able to talk to helps a great deal.

Take a Break from Social Media

Oftentimes people focus too much on social media and see what they don’t have; however, what people do not realize is that people only post the good things going on in their lives. Taking a step back and gathering yourself mentally (for however long it takes you) will have a good impact on your mental health.

Write it All Out

Writing down your feelings, thoughts and days events can be helpful because when you do so you are able to get it all out in a way. You are also able to go back and see what may be possible negative thoughts that have been causing you to feel down and having a negative impact on your mental health.

Make a List of People You can Count On

Knowing who you can count on is a big part of mental health. These are the people you can talk to who you know will help you in any way they can.

Have a Bedtime Ritual

Having structure in your life can also help. Having a bedtime ritual will allow you time to “escape” in a way and also benefit your physical health also.

Volunteer

Getting out into the world and helping others in any way you can is also beneficial. It takes your mind off of things you are worrying about temporarily and you are also doing a good deed at the same time.

I understand that not everyone has time for every single one of these tips in their lives. However, that being said, doing just one can improve your mental health greatly. I believe that the most important thing for people to realize is that YOU MATTER! No matter how down you feel, YOU MATTER. No matter what people are saying about you, YOU MATTER. No matter what events you have going on in your life, YOU MATTER. Take things one step at a time and you will see improvements in your mood and attitude.

Nicole Caldara is Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology and also had a Business minor and a Human Resource Development minor.