How to Keep Yourself Entertained While America Self-Quarantines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Most likely you are inside your house and you have no idea what to do anymore with this pandemic of COVID-19. Trust me, I feel the same way. I’m stressed and I’m bored out of my mind, but I have done my research and I’ve gotten creative with my activities during this world quarantine. I am going to share with you some ways of keeping yourself entertained during this quarantine.

Have a Movie Marathon

I’m sure there are great movies that you have seen that are totally worthy of replaying, and there are others you haven’t gotten around to see. Now is your chance with all this free time! Pop in a DVD. Turn on your streaming service, whether it is Netflix, Hulu, or Disney+, and get watching!

Bake Some Tasty Treats

Find a yummy recipe, get the supplies, and start cooking!

Arts and Crafts

Pinterest, Google, and other social media sites have so many basic crafts for artists and people who just like to craft. Also, Amazon has craft sets that you can buy, which will keep you occupied for days! One of the crafts I bought and love is called Diamond Dotz!

Have a Board Game Night 

Yes, that’s right. It is time to dust off those boxes and take them out of the closet or the basement. Get all your family members to come out of hiding to play whatever games you have. You can even create a tournament out of the games! Get creative!

Do a Puzzle

Puzzles will keep you entertained for sure! You can get these in stores, such as Walmart, or they can be ordered off of Amazon. Whether they are 100 pieces, 250 pieces, 500 pieces, or 1000 pieces, they sure are fun!

Go Outside and Get Some Exercise

I know the CDC and WOH are saying to remain inside, but they also do recommend going outside to remain active. This will help you clear your mind and get out of the house. As long as you are distancing yourself six feet, it is not a problem to go outside!

Netflix Party

There is now a Google Chrome extension that can be downloaded to watch Netflix shows with other people! I recently started doing this with my boyfriend since we are both at our houses. I definitely recommend doing this because you can chat while the show plays at the same time with multiple people!

FaceTime or Zoom Your Friends

Although you can’t see your friends, there are so many ways to stay in contact with each other via videdo chats, such as FaceTime, Zoom, and Skype. Download these to see your friends and catch up!

Read a Book, Magazine, or Online Blogs

Cozy up in bed and with an extra blanket. When you are ready, find a nice book, magazine, or an online website. I guarantee there is something that will keep you hooked and wanting to read for more! 

Have a Dance Party or Karaoke Night with Your Family

Fire up those dance moves and vocal chords! Get your family to sing some tunes and dance away for a fun nights. You’ll probably have some fun laughs!

iMessage Games

For all of us iPhone users, you must have Game Pigeon. Play some games with your friends, whether it is basketball, 8 ball, anagrams, or crazy 8s!

Write Letters to Friends and Family

Although we do have electronic means of communicating, go and write some letters to your friends and family! It will put smiles on their faces when they receive your letter.

I hope this gives you some ideas of how you can entertain yourself during this quarantine! Hopefully, it will all be over soon. Remember to wash your hands, practice social distancing, and be safe!

Elizabeth Kraupner is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.