Style > Beauty

Unilever is Being Sued For Consumer Hair Loss, But The Problem is a Lot Bigger Than Their TRESemmé Shampoo.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Back in November, Unilever came under fire when a handful of consumers initiated a class-action lawsuit against the company[i]. The reason? Hair loss allegedly caused by an ingredient in TRESemmé products – DMDM Hydantoin.

What is DMDM Hydantoin?

If you’ve taken organic chemistry, you might’ve encountered hydantoins before – they’re a classification of organic compounds used in products from pesticides[ii] to anti-seizure medications.[iii] DMDM Hydantoin in particular prolongs the shelf life of beauty products. Every time you steam up your shower, DMDM Hydantoin ensures that bacteria and fungi won’t get into your shampoo bottle.[iv]

DMDM Hydantoin also releases formaldehyde as it breaks down over time. Most of us don’t use an entire bottle of lotion or hair conditioner in a day, so some of that formaldehyde may be getting under our skin while we’re scrubbing away.

According to the plaintiffs of this case, contact dermatitis and hair loss are unfortunate outcomes of that.

Health.com released an article summarizing lawsuits over the years that have involved formaldehyde releasers in products.

On the one hand, they’re not wrong to share this. These compounds are approved for use in topical products so long as they’re under certain concentrations[v], but we shouldn’t rule out their potential for harm. At best, they can trigger contact dermatitis in some consumers with sensitivity.[vi] At worst they’re known carcinogens with effects yet to be determined. [vii]

The article takes a bad turn when it suggests 10 DMDM Hydantoin-free shampoos. Here, products from Garnier and Redken are praised as safe alternatives.

But upon closer examination, these shampoos contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate – a compound with observed allergic and carcinogenic properties. Sound familiar? If you agree, you wouldn’t be wrong. Unlike DMDM Hydantoin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate isn’t a formaldehyde releaser. But it is classified as a “moderate human health priority’ by Health Canada, and is largely unregulated in consumer products. [viii]

This brings us to a bit of a conundrum.

Is it really the DMDM Hydantoin that’s causing hair loss? As it turns out, Sodium Laureth Sulfate is also on the alleged product’s ingredient list (found here).

Whether the consumers fighting Unilever win their lawsuit or not, there’s a pattern when it comes to what’s in our beauty products. Doing away with DMDM Hydantoin and Sodium Laureth Sulfate isn’t likely to put an end to the contact dermatitis that may be causing hair loss, or the carcinogenic risks.

In the interest of being fair, we should consider the scientific proverb correlation does not imply causation. We can’t be certain beyond a doubt of the culprit behind hair loss. A ton of substances are known carcinogens and allergens. That’s a bit concerning, but most of us aren’t likely to experience serious harm from personal care products.

While that’s true, corporate giants like Unilever should be held accountable for the safety of their products but often aren’t.

This leaves the responsibility in the hands of you – the consumer.

There isn’t necessarily a reason to panic and overhaul your personal care routine because of Unilever’s lawsuit. According to Health.com’s article, doctors differ in opinion on whether or not we should be concerned. Perhaps only those with known skin sensitivity or a family history of certain cancers need to proceed with caution.

Regardless, if you found yourself feeling uneasy about DMDM Hydantoin’s five minutes of fame and want to make changes, be careful who you take advice from.

Health.com’s article lets you know an important detail about the products they’re going to show you:

“Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.”[ix]

It’s all in the fine print, my friends.

At the end of the day, be your own Sherlock Holmes and investigate your products to decide what you’re comfortable with. Education is your best friend when it comes to protecting your health and your hair!

Sydney (she/her or they/them) is a Psychology Major at SFU with a focus in Behavioral Neuroscience. She is passionate about women's physical and mental health and LGBTQ+ issues. In her free time, she is a classical musician and avid long distance runner.
Abigail is a third-year International Studies major and Communications minor at Simon Fraser University. She is very passionate about learning more about the world around her and aspires to pursue journalism in the future. In her spare time, she is an avid Netflix lover, ice cream enthusiast, and BTS fangirl.