absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Breakfast: Why We Shouldn’t Skip It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

People say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so why do we skip it?

The majority of us (myself included!) skip breakfast because we don’t have time to make it. As students, we are so overwhelmed by our studies, jobs, and our social life, that sometimes we just forget to eat in the morning.

According to Journal of Nutrition (2004), skipping breakfast causes us to consume more high-calorie snacks to get rid of hunger, which can result in weight gain. Consuming breakfast allows the brain and the body to charge itself, so we can function more efficiently throughout the day. Studies have also shown that eating breakfast can improve memory and concentration and makes us happier. 

In addition to weight gain, skipping breakfast increases your chances of diabetes. According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, women are at a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes if they eat an average of zero to six times per week versus women who eat breakfast every day. Skipping breakfast is also associated with high blood pressure and elevated blood sugar levels.  

As someone who used to skip breakfast due to laziness and not being a morning person, I ended up making breakfast the day before and storing it in my fridge, forcing myself to eat while I was getting ready or on my way to school. Here are some easy go-to ideas for those of us who struggle to eat breakfast every morning.

1. Yogurt Parfait

This is probably the easiest breakfast you can make, and it can’t go wrong. It’s easy to down in the morning when your stomach can’t take in solids.

Ingredients:

• ½ cup of yogurt of your choice
  • 1 cup of fruits (I like to use Bananas) 
  • ½ of granola or cereal

Optional:

• Spoonful of peanut butter 

Steps: 

Grab a bowl, dump everything in, and mix it. It might look disgusting, but it’s appetizing and quick! You can make this overnight or during the morning if you’re not in a rush.

2. Smoothie

I like this one because it’s portable and you can consume it on the go. It takes about 5 minutes to make in the morning (or you can do it the night before).

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of fruit of your choice (I usually go with frozen) 
  • ½ of skim milk or soy milk, depending on your preference
  • ½ of plain yogurt or yogurt of your choice
  • 1 teaspoon of honey for tasting 

Steps:

Put everything into a blender and blend until smooth or until you’re satisfied. Put the smoothie in a portable cup and consume it on the go!  

3. Fruit

If you’re feeling lazy, just grab a fruit and eat it on the go. My personal favourites include apples and bananas. You can even make a fruit salad out of your fruits!

To break it down, it is important to eat our morning meal because:

1. It’s brain fuel.
  2. It provides us with energy throughout the day.
  3. It controls weight.
  4. It is important for being and staying healthy!

We have twenty-four hours in a day to do everything and breakfast only takes a few minutes to make and consume. There should not be a reason why anyone should be skipping breakfast, or any other meal!

Diane is currently in her third year of Political Science and Communication at SFU. She aspires to work for the United Nations one day. She is a self-proclaimed Justin Bieber fan, and adores french bulldogs. You can find her at @deechieng on Instagram and Twitter!