6 Tips to Avoid the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Type the word “freshman” into any search engine, and the first suggested result will be “freshman 15.” The freshman 15 is a phenomenon that is infamous among college and university students across North America. The term refers to weight gained by post-secondary students, typically within their first year of study.

Of course, we can’t generalize and apply this arbitrary number to everyone. Some people may gain weight, while others may lose it, depending on their lifestyle and body type. Though I did not personally experience the freshman 15, to my chagrin I gained weight in my third year of university. I struggled to balance school with work while simultaneously exercising and eating well. Unfortunately, I did not realize at the time that there was nothing to be ashamed of. In my humble, highly unqualified opinion, the freshman 15 is an urban legend—which, without caution, may become your reality.

As students, we have a lot of things to worry about, but our bodies do not have to be one of them. Here are some tips for feeling your physical (and mental) best.

1. Schedule.

In university, timing is everything, and the hardest thing to manage in your first semester is your schedule. It can be hard to estimate how long an assignment will take, or how many 145s will drive by before you can even get on the bus to start your commute home. Try your absolute best to stick to a consistent routine, and follow through with your plans. Settling into a daily routine will make staying on schedule easier and will encourage healthy habits. The key to planning is prioritizing. Obviously your schoolwork and classes come first, then your job or volunteer position. It is important to exercise regularly and to make time for meals so that you are not always grabbing fast food on your way home. Sadly, Netflix will have to wait, but such is the cross a university student must bear.

2. Exercise.

If you are anything like me, you barely drag yourself to the gym once a year. Let me be the one to break it to you: exercise is necessary and there is no escaping it—especially if you find yourself hufing and puffing as you take the stairs to the fifth floor of the AQ. You need to stay healthy, sweat out negativity, and reduce your stress. On the bright side, SFU has great facilities on-campus that are available for all students to use. Take advantage of them and capitalize on the fees you pay every semester. Even a thirty-minute session three times a week is manageable; it’s merely one-and-a-half hours out of 168 in the entire week.

3. Be vigilant of your habits.

We can be our own worst enemies, so why not use that to our advantage? When you are bored or stressed and find yourself ogling over your open fridge or cupboard (again, we’ve all been there), ask yourself, “Why am I really eating?” Too often, you will hate the answer, but it will make closing the door that much easier.

4. Stock up.

Keep snacks and your favourite fruit readily available. Generously stock your home with treats that satisfy your cravings, but also, your nutritional requirements. To avoid impromptu splurges, bring a snack to munch on in class. Also, always keep a water bottle handy to stay hydrated. Bonus: the water can help suppress that ever-present growling stomach in class.

5. Eat right.

I know, this is much easier said than done. Trying to keep up with readings, assignments, and exams, while also struggling to maintain a personal life is hard enough. If you can’t cook balanced meals with fresh, healthy ingredients at home, try to make carefully informed decisions. Little things like adding milk instead of cream to your coffee, choosing butter instead of cream cheese for your bagel, and ordering the half portion instead of full (if the menu permits) are simple, but effective ways to cut down your fat and calorie intake. Read the nutritional guide at restaurants first and find out whether or not low-calorie, low-fat substitutes are available.

6. Reward yourself.

It’s okay to indulge occasionally, within reason. A chocolate bar here and there never hurt anyone—but six of them will come back to haunt you, trust me! Also, try not to skip meals, as it will only make you tired and cranky, something nobody needs to see. Ultimately, you should focus on taking care of yourself and having fun. You’re only young once!

Balroop is an English Major with Humanities and History minors. She thrives on coffee, coke, and chocolate. She has proclaimed herself the "Queen of Procrastination". Perpetually stranded on a blueberry farm, she has developed an undying love for Netflix.