5 Ways to Make Fitness More Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Exercise—it’s something we all know that we should do, but it’s not always fun. Still, just because working out can be boring doesn’t mean that it has to be! Here are five ways you can make your fitness routine a little more fun.

1. Pick a cute outfit!One way to make working out instantly more fun is to look cute while doing it! It mind sound kind of silly, but think about it: wearing a brightly colored outfit that you think looks good on you is going to lift your mood and make you way more likely to work out than wearing a pair of boring sweatpants would! .
  2. Pump up the jams!One way I try to make fitness more fun for myself is to listen to my favorite music while I’m exercising—actually, I listen to podcasts because I’m a nerd, but the same principle applies to music, too. Podcasts, music, and audiobooks all help to distract you and more importantly, take your mind off of your aching muscles
  3. Take a fun class!If you can afford it, one was to make exercise more fun is to sign up for an interesting class at a local gym. Not only will you learn a new skill like ballet, raquetball, karate, or…whatever it is they do in a spin class, you’ll also make your fitness routine feel more like a game and less like an agonizing chore.
  4. Join up with some friends!If you’re the social butterfly type, you might consider enlisting a few of your friends to be your gym buddies. Ideally, you’ll keep each other accountable and motivated to work out while also making some great memories together!
  5. TECHNOLOGY!Technoglogy is there for a reason, people! There are dozens of free apps out there that you can use to make your workout more fun. I’ve really enjoyed using the C25K (Couch to 5K) app, which is availale free for both iOS and Android, because it’s specifically intended for people who are new to running. Instead of trying to take on too much and getting burned out, I’ve been able to slowly build up endurance, which has made excercising much more enjoyable for me.

So, there you have it! Those are my top five ways to make exercising more fun. Best of luck on your fitness journey! You’ve totally got this.

Emily Daniel loves writing, which is a good thing because as an English major, she does a lot of it. She also loves Disney movies, musicals, Spider-Man, chai lattes, and writing about herself in the third person.