stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Tips to Beat the Freshman Fifteen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The freshman fifteen is the sneakiest son of a gun, and we’ve all met her.

Entering college, every adult will warn you that your eating habits will finally catch up to you, especially when fries and ice cream is disposable at the caf. For new freshman, not having mom or dad monitor their plate and force broccoli down their throat seems like one of the most freeing aspects of college. In reality, it is a big challenge and certainly a first step into leading a healthy adulthood.

Personally, I did not believe that the freshman fifteen struck me, but boy do I enjoy looking at pictures from freshman year, with my friends and my extra lil chin. Dieting in college is truly a challenge, especially when the caf provides an array of foods that is readily available, making the celery or nachos conflict even harder. If you aren’t interested in dieting, but would like to be more disciplined, I’d like to share a few things with you that I have found help me stay on track.

I am a pretty active twenty one year old, hitting the gym around three times a week. I was always lowkey thankful for having to walk all around campus and down into town, because I didn’t have a car early on. Weather permitting, I try to walk places from time to time. Drink as much water as you can, drinking water gives you energy and helps with your skin, circulation, and helps with digestion. On the regular, try to eat as many things as you can that come from the earth, that way you aren’t eating as much processed food. This is a good rule if you want to stay on a good track, but don’t forget about those cheat days!

Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.