This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

For those of you who cannot wait to get out and explore Seattle in the sun, I’ve created this list of top ten hikes from easiest hike to most difficult hike. The links provide a more in-depth description of the location. 

1. Discovery Park

This one is actually in Seattle, so it’s great if you don’t have a car and have to rely on public transportation. It’s a short hike that you can take, with beautiful views and, if you choose to, you can walk down and follow the trail to the shore of the beach. There is a lighthouse there, along with lots of shells and sand (real sand, not rocky sand!).

2. Franklin Falls

Tthis location is pretty easy and a quick hike to a waterfall (that’s not Snoqualmie Falls, for a change). It’s near the Snoqualmie pass, so a bit of a trip away from the city, but not impossible to get to. The scenery is beautiful, especially in the wintertime when the falls are frozen and it looks like a winter wonderland.

3. Rattlesnake Ledge

This is your most basic, new-to-Washington-hiking hike. A beautiful view for taking photos, a cliffside, and the hike is only 2 miles (but it’s all uphill!). And don’t worry, despite the name, no rattlesnakes here.

4. Cedar Butte

In the same area as Rattlesnake Ledge, Cedar Butte has a less frequent population of visitors passing through. It’s a little steep at one point, but very short. It didn’t take more than an hour and a half of total time! 

5. Little Si

This one is a favorite. It’s not short, but it’s not too long and not too steep. The view at the top is beautiful; tons of trees stretching out into the distance, and a nice ledge to stop and snack at. Great during the winter and the summer.

6. West Tiger #3

The view at the end of this one is nice, but often blocked by trees. This hike is a favorite for the journey up, not so much for the view at the top. It’s longer, but again, not too steep. It’s great for conditioning and if you’re up for it, running/jogging up!

7. Denny Creek

This one is a BLAST in the summer! You can take it easy and just walk to the creek where there are natural “waterslides” along the rocks with kids sliding down. There are a ton of rocks and mini-waterfalls to explore. If you want, you can continue one to Keekwulee Falls and Melawkwa Lake, which is a longer journey, but there are some awesome swimming holes along the way!

8. Mount Pilchuck

This one is a great hike and the journey up feels like something out of Lord of the Rings. It’s a long one, but totally worth the climb. At the end, there’s a bit of a scamble up some rocks to the lookout on the top. Tons of fun!

9. Tolmie Peak

This is the most beautiful place I’ve ever been, I think. This hike is wonderful in the summer (probably very snowy in the winter!). There are great views of Mount Rainier, two beautiful lakes along the way, and an awesome lookout at the top that you can climb up to. Some of the best pictures I’ve ever taken were here.

10. Blanca Lake

Longest hike I’ve ever done! Took seven hours of brutal uphill trudging. It’s so worth it. The water was the most magical blue/green color I’ve ever seen. It feels like a fairytale here, and the entire hike is just as scenic and beautiful. If you’re up for the challenge, please do this hike!

Seattle University student, lover of Harry Potter and Star Wars, writer, dreamer, adventurer.
I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.