Wellness > Health

HEALTH & FITNESS: Affordable Access to Produce on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

As college students, we all know what it’s like to pinch our pennies to afford a decent lifestyle. Even food can cost an arm and a leg, so how can we prioritize our health and eat clean when fruits and vegetables are expensive? Luckily, San Diego State students can create healthy meals on a budget! 

BrightSide Produce is a nonprofit produce stand that provides affordability, accessibility, and availability to communities in San Diego by working as a produce distribution service and also provides the same concept for students on campus. Right next to the SDSU Bookstore, the BrightSide Produce stand sells various fruits and vegetables for a great price. They’re open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. They have cool produce sale programs that may pique your interest. On Monday – Wednesday, customers can choose their produce packages, which are offered in different sizes according to the price level, ranging from $5, $10, and $15! You can choose to do this whenever you please, or you can subscribe, pay ahead and pick up your items once a week! Another cool feature is their Pay-What-You-Want deal. On Thursdays only, you can purchase items at the BrightSide Produce Stand and pay whatever you want. You can pay above or below the posted dollar amount!

BrightSide has a delicious variety of different fruits and vegetables that you can find in any grocery store. When it comes to fruits, they have granny smith and gala apples, bananas, peaches, plums, oranges, tangerines, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupes, pineapples, mangos, lemons, and limes! Vegetables typically include tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, jalapenos, serrano peppers, cucumbers, green bell peppers, baby carrots, cabbage, celery, garlic, red, white, and yellow onions, tomatillos, and avocados! 

And yes, I know we have Trader Joe’s on campus, but why not support your school while getting a great deal? To really show you what I mean, here is a chart that compares Trader Joe’s prices with BrightSide’s Prices. 

Product BrightSide Produce Trader Joe’s
Individual Potato  $0.49 $0.79
Mango $1.29 $1.59
Strawberries $3.49 $3.99
Avocado $1.49 $3.99

Next time you’re on campus walking by East Commons, stop by BrightSide produce and choose a healthy snack or shop for your dinner supplies! Shop local, support your school, and get good deals!

Hi! My name is Ariana and I am a fourth-year Public Health major! I've lived in San Diego for the past three years, but I am originally from Bakersfield, California. I love to hang out with friends and family, go to the beach, and try new restaurants :)