This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Full disclosure: I may or may not be snacking on some chocolate as I write this.

As a new quarter starts (well now we’re half way through) and summer is coming, it’s time to buckle down and attempt to be healthy. There are so many different diets out there and different ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It’s all about finding the method that’s right for you. Some people like to count calories and if that works for you, that’s awesome! For me, I try to do my best to eat healthy meals and stay active throughout the week. However, no matter what method we try, we somehow find ourselves at the bottom of an empty pizza box, popcorn bag, box of chocolates, or whatever our go-to craving is. Cheat days—they’re like secrets, we all have them.

I subscribe to the mentality that everything is ok in moderation. You know, sometimes we have really hard and long days and we just need some ice cream to get through. There is no guilt or shame in treating yourself after an exceptionally hard day. Try having healthy meals throughout the week and treat yourself your favorite meal one day on the weekend. Having one cheat day once in awhile is not going to throw off your summer bod.

This is all great advice about treating yourself and having that donut before you go to the gym, but what are some actual practical ways to stay healthy?

My favorite go-to snack when I want to be healthy and also have energy (major key in trying to be fit) is an apple or some carrots. I find that apples give me the sweet craving and also give me lots of energy, and carrots are just a nice crunchy treat.

For dinner, I have been loving stuffed peppers (thanks mom for teaching me how to make it!!). First, start cooking some rice—I tend to use the instant brown rice from Sprouts, but your favorite rice will work! I also prefer to use ground turkey, but you can use ground beef if you’d like. You just cook the meat in a pan on medium heat with oil and some sautéed onions. Add your favorite tomato sauce and spices. Once the rice is done, add it all together and mix. Microwave the peppers to soften them up a bit and then stuff them. Put them in oven for 20 minutes at 350 and voila! A nice low-carb and super tasty meal.

The other half of living healthy and fit is staying active. There are so many great ways available to us. There are numerous fitness classes offered on campus at the Malley Fitness Center, or there a bunch of great facilities near campus where you can take fitness classes like Orange Theory, CorePower Yoga, CycleBar, and Crossfit. If you like the outdoors, there are so many places to go for a hike, run or walk like Mission Peak, Castle Rock, or the Freemont Older Open Space Preserve. It’s all about finding what you’re passionate about!

We all fall off the wagon and eat too much dessert sometimes. But it’s important that we get back on and try again tomorrow.

Tara Karanik is a sophomore student at Santa Clara University. In between late night studying for her Chemistry and History double major, her hobbies include binge watching puppy videos and Netflix. She is addicted to coffee and will most likely say she needs more coffee throughout the day. She has truly found a home at Santa Clara and looks forward to many more adventures as a Bronco.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.