This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

As college students pursuing degrees that are likely to determine a large part of our future, it’s difficult not to feel immense pressure. Between classes, extracurriculars, and jobs/internships, we often feel so overwhelmed that we can’t help but stress out. I am more than often guilty of this as I feel like I never have enough time to finish anything.

While some may need to experience a little stress in order to get assignments done, excessive stress can have negative side effects. Some of these side effects include acne, unhealthy weight gain or weight loss, irritability, or difficulty sleeping. When someone experiences these side effects, it may even add to the stress he or she is already feeling.

Although it may seem like it’s impossible at times, stress levels can be lowered quite easily with these simple tips.

1. Breathe

It really does help to take slow, deep breaths when you start to feel anxiety setting in. The more air you circulate, the more you can slow your heart rate and counter the feeling of stress. Although this seems simple, it truly does work and can be done anywhere.

2. Move around

Whenever I start to feel stressed I try to stop what I’m doing, get up, and move around. Whether it’s with some cardio or yoga, I always feel so much better after I do some form of exercise.

3. Talk it out

Talking to others and sharing how you’re feeling may help you get some of the stress off your chest allowing you to feel a sense of relief. I can always count on my mom or my friends to be there when I’m stressed or anxious.

There are many other ways to lower stress levels that work for some and not others. However you deal with stress, keep it up, because too much stress is never worth it. 

Mara Strong is a freshman at Santa Clara University where she is studying English and Philosophy. She loves everything Hamilton and is proud to call herself a Ravenclaw.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.