I Meditated For a Week. Here’s What Happened.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Meditation is proven to have many health benefits, both physical and mental. It is shown to reduce stress, improve concentration, increase self-awareness, and even increase happiness.

I tried meditating every day for a week to see if it lived up to the hype. Here’s how it went:

Day 1:

I did a 10 minute guided meditation called a ‘body scan’. This type of meditation helps you check in with your self and examine how you are feeling physically. After minute eight I was super peaceful and calm, maybe I had reached nirvana—or maybe I was just about to fall asleep, who knows. I did this meditation at 10pm, so I felt super relaxed and sleepy afterwards. My mind was focused and I wasn’t thinking about all of the things that had been stressing me out that day anymore.

Day 2:

I was waiting to meet a teacher for office hours and I had 30 more minutes to kill, so I thought why not make good use of my time and meditate! There was no one else around so I closed my eyes and did some deep breathing for 10 minutes. I tried to clear my mind and focus on being present, but a million thoughts kept running through my head. I tried to just let them pass and re-focus. After 10 minutes I felt really calm and the stress from my long day had faded away.

Day 3:

I had a lot going on this day and really didn’t want to stop what I was doing to meditate. Usually when I take a ‘break’ from homework I reach for my phone, or watch a quick episode of my favorite show. Instead of wasting time on my phone during my break, I sat still and did a quick guided meditation that consisted of 8 minutes of checking in with myself and seeing how I was feeling.

Day 4:

It was Thursday and I was ready for the weekend so I could relax. So for this meditation, I put on a soundtrack of crashing waves to try and transport myself to the beach. After 10 minutes, I felt so much more relaxed and ready to focus and be really productive.

Day 5:

For my last day of meditation I thought I would try a 15-minute meditation. I used another guided meditation to help focus my thoughts and re-center myself. After 9 minutes I started to get distracted, and then sleepy. But I still felt calm and zen after meditating.

Overall, I enjoyed my experiment with meditation. Taking my mind off things for a short while, even for just 10 minutes, made a big difference in how I was feeling. I felt less stressed and more focused. These two benefits are enough to convince me to meditate more often! 

SaveSave

Sofia is from the San Francisco Bay Area and studies Political Science (plus a million other minors). Sofia writes about style, travel, food and coffee on her blog, www.sofialeyla.com . In her free time, catch her hammocking by Bellomy Field or finding her zen in yoga class.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.