Spoon Csu-Blueberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Brook Buchan / Spoon

Three Simple Desserts to Brighten Your Lockdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Now that many of us are on lockdown at home, it’s left us with plenty of time to bake those desserts that have been all over social media! If you need some help brainstorming what to make first, here’s 3 recipes straight from my Pinterest board, all in one place. 

1 Cinnamon Swirled Banana Bread

Have a few bananas that are a little too ripe? Banana bread is the best option for you! What makes this recipe a little different is that extra cinnamon sugar swirl which is totally optional, but I definitely think you should try it!

For the batter you’ll need:

1 cup of unsalted butter, melted

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

4 ripe bananas, mashed

For the swirl you’ll need:

2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

2 tbsp sugar

3 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp ground cinnamon

For the instructions, check out the original source here: https://thebakermama.com/recipes/cinnamon-swirl-banana-bread/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_tribes&utm_content=tribes&utm_term=899991352_39195536_131436

2 S’mores Cookie Bars

Missing those cool summer nights by the fire with some smores? These brownies are exactly what you need in your life! Before you get started with this one, check your pantry for these ingredients:

½ cup butter, softened

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

½ tsp baking soda 

¼ tsp salt

1 cup flour

¾ cup graham cracker crumbs

½ cup marshmallow cream

½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

If this sounds like something you’d be into, check out the original recipe here! https://www.somethingswanky.com/smores-cookie-bars/?utm_content=buffer4d14c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=buffer

3 Blueberry Lemon Pie Bars

This one is a little different, a dessert for when you’re not necessarily in the mood for something chocolatey. I haven’t had a chance to try these yet, but I think we should all try them together! For this one you’ll need more ingredients than the last two, but it definitely looks worth it 

For the crust:

1 cup unsalted butter, melted

½ cup sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract

½ teaspoon salt

The zest of one lemon

2 cups flour 

For the filling: 

8 oz cream cheese

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1-5.3 oz container of lemon Greek yogurt

2 tsp lemon juice

¼ tsp salt

½ cup flour

3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen 

Again, if this pie bar sounds like something you’d enjoy, check out the original here! https://freshaprilflours.com/blueberry-lemon-pie-bars/

I hope that these recipes sound as good to you as they sound to me! I can’t wait to kill some time perfecting my baking skills. 

Shannon Gill

Scranton '21

Senior Exercise Science Major at The University of Scranton
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.