This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The week that everyone dreads is right around the corner. Finals week brings up feelings of stress, anxiety, low mood, and more. While our first instinct may be to cram studying and worry about our mental health later, practicing self-care is extremely important. Practicing self-care is clinically proven to reduce anxiety and depression, reduce stress, increase happiness, and more. Here are some ways to practice self-care, especially leading up to final exams.

1. Get enough sleep!

Please do not sacrifice sleep for studying. Sleep is when we recharge. When we get proper sleep our learning, memory, and attention improve. Sleep is also closely related to mental health. When we get enough sleep, our mood drastically improves.

2. Reward yourself

Take breaks from studying and reward yourself for all your hard work. Spend time with friends, eat some junk food, watch a movie, put on a face-mask, do some art, or anything thing that relaxes you and makes you feel happy.

3. Spend time with friends

Adding to my last point, I want to emphasize taking breaks from studying and hanging out with friends. I guarantee it will boost your mood. Plus, we are all going to miss our friends when we go home during the break.

4. Consider exercising

It might be the last thing you want to do when stressing over finals, but even short periods of exercise have many benefits. Exercise can boost your mood and help with concentration and alertness. You can go to the gym, go for a walk, or do some yoga on the floor of your room. Also do not forget to drink water!

5. Engage is positive self-talk

This is my challenge for you. Whenever you hear that voice telling you “you’re going to fail”, “you are stupid”, “you’re never going to remember this information”, etc., please tell that voice to screw off. Our thoughts heavily influence the way we feel and the way we behave. If you have negative thoughts dispute them with positive ones. Validate and acknowledge your strengths by telling yourself, “I am going to ace this final”, “I’ve gotten this far for a reason, I am capable and smart”, etc.

Goodluck on your final exams! Study hard but remember to practice self-care and focus on your mental wellbeing.

Lauren Filardi

Scranton '23

Lauren is a Counseling and Human Services Major who loves to advocate for mental health awareness. Lover of all things fitness, health, and self-care. Will tell anybody random pop culture info without them asking.