harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

No Matter How Dark It May Seem, There Is Always Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The Out of the Darkness walk is an event for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Participants walk to raise money for AFSP’s efforts to raise awareness, fund scientific research and provide sources and aid to those affected by suicide. This event creates a culture that is smart about mental health, and brings hope to those affected by suicide. Belle Muggeo, a student at Fordham University has recently attended an Out of the Darkness Walk.

Name: Belle Muggeo

School: Fordham University

Grade: Freshman

Hometown: Rivervale, New Jersey

HC: What is the Out of the Darkness Walk and who is it organized by? 

BM: Out of the Darkness Walks are fundraisers created by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to gain awareness for those who have experienced the harmful repercussions of suicide or suicidal thoughts. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, or the AFSP as I will refer to it as, hosts these walks in hopes of educating the public about suicide, as well as raising funds for suicide prevention research.

HC: Where did the event take place? 

BM: The walk that I participated in took place at the Saddle River County Park in Saddle River, New Jersey. 

HC: Why did you choose to participate in this walk? How did you hear about it? 

BM: Just short of a year ago, a close friend of mine had taken his life. Jack was a beautiful person inside and out. He is the type of person who would’ve swept all of our Senior Superlatives; He was the class clown, the person most likely to brighten your day, and the best smile. Jack, like far too many others, struggled silently. His passing had permeated through and beyond our entire community, leaving many people determined to make sure that no one suffers the way that he did. I walked for Jack. I heard about the Out of the Darkness walks by doing a little research on the AFSP website. A friend of mine, a veteran of OOTD walks, invited me to this specific walk. 

HC: For someone looking to participate in this walk, how could they find one or organize their own? 

BM: The AFSP has chapters in all 50 states, meaning that finding walks isn’t very difficult. They host three different types of walks: Community Walks, Campus Walks, and Overnight Walks. I participated in a community walk, however campus walks are a great way to get involved on a college level. If there is not a walk scheduled near the Scranton campus, it could be a great idea to reach out to AFSP and ask how to begin scheduling a walk. 

HC: What is your estimation for how many people attended this event? 

BM: Attendance varies for each walk, however there were just over 600 people at the community walk I participated in. 

HC: Can you explain what you did while you were there? 

BM: Upon arriving, there are many different tables you can visit that are hosted by AFSP or local organizations that provide activities, grab bags, and photo booths. For example, there was a station where you could decorate a little white bag in remembrance of a loved one or to just share an inspiring quote, and these little white bags would line the path of the walk later on. In addition to these little activities, the AFSP provides colorful beaded necklaces that participants can wear that represent the type of loss that they have suffered. White beads represent a loss of a child, red beads represent a loss of a spouse, gold beads represent the loss of a parent, orange beads represent a loss of a sibling, purple beads represent the loss of a friend, silver beads represent the loss of a first responder or military, green beads represent personal struggle or attempts, blue beads represent support for the Suicide Prevention cause, and teal beads represent a friend or family member who is currently struggling or who has attempted. Adorning yourself with these beads is one of the most emotional part of the event. In addition to these activities, a representative of the local AFSP chapter will give a short speech, and introduce a few participants who volunteered to share their stories and experience with suicide. There was not a single dry eye in the entire park as victims shared their stories about their sons and sisters and best friends and wives and mothers. Everyone wore different colored beads, but suffered from the same heart shattering loss. 

HC: Why do you think raising awareness about suicide and suicide prevention is important? 

BM: The crippling loss associated with suicide is something that no family, or no community should ever feel. Before my community had suffered from our loss, we as a whole were blinded from mental health awareness. It should not have a taken such a heart-breaking loss for a community to be aware of an unfortunately common struggle. Communities need to be proactive and start discussing mental health. I think raising awareness for suicide and suicide prevention is important because suicide is indeed preventable. I think raising awareness for suicide and suicide prevention is important because my friend, Jack, should still be with us today. I think raising awareness for suicide and suicide prevention is important because each person on this earth deserves their opportunity to leave a whole, happy life.  

If you or someone you know is struggling or having suicidal thoughts, there are so many sources for help. Reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK. You are never alone, you are always loved. Visit the AFSP website to donate, take action, or find support.

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so