Breakfast Brunch Toast Granola Food
Breakfast Brunch Toast Granola Food
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

My New Favorite Nourish Bowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

If you’re anything like me, when it comes to cooking you like to do it in bulk. I would much rather cook a large meal and be able to eat it for a few days in a row than have to brainstorm a new idea every night and set aside time to make both lunch and dinner. Because of this, I’ve recently gotten into making nourish bowls! Nourish bowls, buddha bowls, power bowls, whatever you want to call them I think that they are a great way to spice up your weekly meals! 

The main goal of a nourish bowl is to create a well-balanced meal. This means that it’s important to include nutrient dense foods from every food group! These bowls can be eaten hot or cold and can be adapted to fit foods that are in season. Recently, I’ve been into all things buffalo, so my choice of protein was buffalo chickpeas! I started with that idea and built from there. I made a majority of my meal in my air fryer, but all of this can be roasted in the oven as well.  

The things I used for this bowl were 

-1 can chickpeas 

-Franks Hot Sauce 

-2 small, sweet potatoes 

-1 cup jasmine rice 

-2 cups broccoli 

-1 avocado 

-spring mix 

-salt 

-pepper 

-garlic powder 

-olive oil 

To start, I washed and cut the sweet potatoes into cubes, and tossed them in olive oil, salt and pepper. I put them in the oven on 375 for 25 minutes. Next, I boiled 1.5 cups of water, to cook the rice. While these two were cooking, I tossed my precut broccoli in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put them in the air fryer on 400 for 5 minutes. In the meantime, I rinsed and dried the chickpeas before tossing them in Franks Hot Sauce. When the broccoli was done, I put the chickpeas in the air fryer for 10 minutes on 375.  

I assembled the bowl by layering the bottom with rice, putting a handful or two of spring mix on top, and then put the rest of the ingredients on top. I finished the chickpeas by mixing them in a little more hot sauce and a bit of ranch dressing, but that part is totally optional. If any of my avocados were ripe, I would have included half of one in this dish in order to include a healthy fat! 

I hope you give this one a try and love it as much as I do!

Shannon Gill

Scranton '21

Senior Exercise Science Major at The University of Scranton
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.