This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

It’s normal to not always be happy

I’m sure everyone has gone through patches in their life where everything seems pretty crappy. It might be family problems, friendship issues, school, work, or even just problems with yourself. It’s not possible for everyone to have everything together 24/7. There will be times when you don’t want to get out of bed, and when everything around you seems to be crumbling. It’s normal, and everyone goes through instances like that. It’s all about how you let that effect you. 

Do things that make you feel good

The best thing to do when times like this come around is to try to find ways to make yourself happy. Surround yourself with your favorite people, eat that piece of cake, or binge watch your favorite TV show. It will never help you to sit around and wither away in your sorrows (although it may seem like the only thing we want to do). You need to find ways to get yourself motivated to tackle that beast head on.

The bottom line is….

Make time for yourself. Do not get caught up with the drama around you, or that endless to-do list you have in your planner. Everything will work out. At the end of the day, you must put yourself first, and make sure you and your mental health are doing well. Go outside for a walk, and put the phone down. Call your mom and talk about your day. Read that book you have been eyeing for a while. Do not let life run all over you. Do the things you need to keep you happy and healthy. Life is not all sunshine and rainbows, but majority of the time can be if you make it that way. 

Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.