This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Hello! My name is Kate Foley and I am a junior here at the University of Scranton! I am a Community Health Education major with a minor in Counseling and a concentration in Nutrition. In my spare time you can find me at Starbucks with my fourth coffee of the day, at the library studying away or my favorite place, the gym (even though I am not a fan of the no-tank-top rule).

I am so blessed to have this opportunity to start writing for Her Campus Scranton about Fitness and Nutrition because a healthy lifestyle is something I am extremely passionate about. I hope to eventually have my own studio gym where I can work one-on-one with my clients. To educate and train them regarding fitness, nutrition, and provide the counseling needs that one might want when making these healthy life choices. So kind of like a healthy lifestyle coach! 

As a college student, finding a balance between school, going out, friends/boys (boy for me), the delicious dessert temptations on 3rd floor Denaples, and the gym, have taken me until now to finally figure out. So luckily for you, if you’re still reading this, I will be writing to help you figure it all out for yourself.

Fitness isn’t just about looking a certain way for me. I workout so much because I absolutely love it. The gym is my escape. A lot of people don’t understand that, but to me it’s simple: with stress from school, friends, family and all the aspects that every college student faces, the time I spend at the gym is my “me” time. I leave all my problems and stress at the door and focus on bettering myself mentally as well as physically. I love lifting because it forces me to get out of my comfort zone and really challenges me every single day. When I reach a new weight on a specific exercise, I’ll be in a good mood all day. It’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. 

I want to help anyone who wants to better themselves and make healthy lifestyle changes. There are trainers who will help you lose weight but won’t do it the healthy way. I’ve had that type of trainer, one that saw the money I paid them and the goals I wanted, and would do whatever it takes to get there, but it wasn’t in a healthy way at all. I want my future clients to have a healthy approach to changing their lives. It’s not about losing weight or looking good, it’s about being healthy, happy with balance and moderation. I also would love to work with clients who have suffered or are suffering with an eating disorder. As someone who has personal experience with those struggles, I want to lend a hand and help others recover. I am so utterly passionate about health and fitness and about helping people. I realize how important it is to have a healthy lifestyle, especially as college students, because this time in our lives is where we mold the rest of our lives. I want to be healthy for life, not just “skinny for this weekend”. That isn’t my approach to fitness and healthy eating. I want to help others and give advice/counseling. In a few months I will be a Certified Personal Trainer and I will be on my way to starting a career I will absolutely love.

I hope you enjoyed learning a little about me! I will be writing health and fitness related posts for Her Campus Scranton! I’ll be writing about how to get healthy and lose weight, how to maintain that weight loss, and how to have a balance while staying healthy. College is a rough time all around, let’s make fitness and nutrition less of a stress by learning more about how to be healthy in an easy and fun way!! :)

Xoxo, Kate

Hey everyone! I'm Kate Foley, a junior at the University of Scranton. I study Community Health Education, Counseling and Nutrition. I love coffee, the gym, chipotle, edm, my friends and family, and am obsessed with my black pug named Olive. Soon to be a Certified Personal Trainer via the National Academy of Sports Medicine.
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_