Wellness

A Guide to Making the Most of Your Sick Day: Tips for a Restorative Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Have you ever gotten sick during a busy moment in your life?

Falling ill can be a pain, especially when you have school and a lot of homework. It is so hard to concentrate when you have a headache, a stuffy nose, and a scratchy throat.

So, what is the perfect way to spend a sick day?

1. Listen to Your Body

Acknowledge your body and what it is telling you. If you’re feeling unwell, it’s important to prioritize rest and recovery over pushing yourself to carry on with your usual activities. Take the time to rest to allow your body to heal!

2. Create a Cozy Environment

Surround yourself with soft blankets and fluffy pillows to make a comfortable environment.

3. Stay Hydrated

Drink tons of water to aid in the healing process and keep the body nourished. Stay hydrated by sipping water throughout the day to prevent dehydration.

4. Engage in Gentle Activities

Engaging in gentle activities can help minimize boredom and promote well-being. Some activities can include reading a book, listening to calming music, or watching your favorite movies or TV shows from the comfort of your bed.

5. Practice Self-Care

Participate in self-care rituals to nourish both your body and mind. This can include taking a warm bath, meditation, skincare, and some gentle exercises.

6. Get Adequate Rest

Above all, prioritize rest and allow yourself the time you need to fully recover. Embrace the opportunity to rest, recharge, and recuperate fully so that you can bounce back feeling refreshed and revitalized. Taking a nap always makes me feel refreshed and ready to go.

Being sick is never ideal, but taking a sick day can provide a much-needed opportunity to prioritize self-care and well-being. Remember to listen to your body, create a cozy environment, nourish yourself with healthy foods and fluids, engage in gentle activities, practice self-care, and most importantly, get adequate rest.

Neha Patel

Scranton '26

Hi! My name is Neha and I am a occupational therapy major! I am so excited to share my stories with you :)